Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
maggis
Adelaide South Australia
maggis is female  maggis has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2013, 08:59 AM

Re: Who Cares

I prefer to help local charities and seeing as donating money isn't an option for me ( apart from a dollar here and there in a collectors tin) I sometimes help out in the meals on wheels depot or do the odd afternoon in the animal welfare league cat boarding facility just giving the cats a cuddle for their owners while they're on hols or in hospital etc.
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

29-05-2013, 09:21 AM

well we've started up a wopper here! - not everyone is happy with Oxfam including an African family who were overjoyed to be offered a job by them and came to England only to become bitterly dissapointed, read all about it http://angryafrican.net/2008/04/13/a...and-me-2002-2/

and then there is:http://www.spiked-online.com/index.p.../article/4180/

just leave you with these two for the moment but you can believe I have a tonne more when ya ready Alan - in the meantime keep giving the money folks!

next time I'll tell you why the bookshops of England aren't too happy with Oxfam.

Oxfam for me represents the guilty conscience of the West - give to Oxfam and ease your guilty conscience - then you can sleep easily knowing you've eased poverty somewhere in the world for 10 mins!
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2013, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by maggis ->
I prefer to help local charities and seeing as donating money isn't an option for me ( apart from a dollar here and there in a collectors tin) I sometimes help out in the meals on wheels depot or do the odd afternoon in the animal welfare league cat boarding facility just giving the cats a cuddle for their owners while they're on hols or in hospital etc.
I used to give regularly to Oxfam and have 'bought' various items over the years for developing countries. I'm sure thousands of other people have done the same and with all the fund-raising that goes on plus government donations, nothing changes. So I stopped throwing good money after bad and now I also support local charities instead; the decision to help our own sits easier with me more so now given the economic climate.
mindbender
mindbender is male 

29-05-2013, 09:38 AM

well said BV - here stands a voice of reason at last! well including MIck as well
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2013, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
There may be a good chance I have posted similar before.
What prompted you to repost this topic? I'm curious.
mindbender
mindbender is male 

29-05-2013, 09:43 AM

here's a nice little snippet which I have the url to if anyone needs it!

I will never again give anything to Oxfam. Several years ago donated $100 for the Phuket tsunami stating that it was a oncer but the next month they deducted $50 from my bank account. When I rang them they apologised and said was a mistake and was now rectified so said they could keep it but the next month it happened again and they told me I was registered as a once a month donor so the previous error had not been fixed. This time insisted that they refund my money and take any reference to my name from their books. It cured me and now if I make any donations to any charity I send a cheque and do not give my bank details.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2013, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
There is much spouting on many subjects, politics, religion, Gender Bending, but at the end of the day, how much do these major issues impact on your everyday lives, it's alright gobbing off on these issues, but would you alter your everyday regime, to fundamentally change the way things are?.
Paul we may not necessarily be able to 'fundamentally change the way things are' but chatting among ourselves we may be able to give others a new perspective on things and they can then influence others.

I will give you an example, on our sister site Dogsey many spoke out over the years about cruel methods of training dogs and those who promoted them and gave alternative methods of training. The alternative methods are now becoming mainstream and cruel methods and device used less and in the case of one country banned .

I think of our 'chatter' as a drop of water in the stream that adds to content of the oceans which affect us all.
maggis
Adelaide South Australia
maggis is female  maggis has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2013, 11:06 AM

Well said Meg
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2013, 11:31 AM

Giving £50 now and again to Oxfam may not make me "Brother Teresa" but if it eases someones poverty for 10 minutes it's better than not doing anything at all. With regards to someone having money regularly taken out of their bank account by Oxfam, I give via Paypal and have had no trouble at all.
mindbender
mindbender is male 

29-05-2013, 01:47 PM

four against and one for at the moment? 50 quid on 4 to 1 sounds reasonable?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top