Join for free
Page 7 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8 >
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2021, 05:43 PM

Re: Excitement in the Backyard!

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
No, I wish they would sample more. This is such an important estuary - the nursery for dolphins, water fowl, oysters, fish that we are trying to form a partnership to ensure more stewardship of the river.

Thankfully, they do all the saving around here! I was surprised that such a large ship was this far upriver. Winter tides can leave the place very shallow. They apparently knew what they were doing!

That's quite a sight! Do you think they were training?

Maintenance, yes, but not for the ship. You are getting closer.

Off topic, but you might want to see a doctor about that condition.

Nifty on the helicopter. Any guess what they were up to?
Not ship's maintenance, so probably not taking on stores then.

Naval equipment maintenance perhaps? Radio beacons, radar, sonar, ship handling equipment?

Or is it to maintain the personnel? Shore leave, medical problems/routine check-ups.

Hearts and minds, a peace-keeping force, an insurrection? I have heard they are popular over your side of the pond.

Like your lot, we have different non-military outfits operating jellycopters. These include Coast Guard, Police, Air-Ambulance, Mountain Rescue and Air-Sea-Rescue. The latter are generally yellow, but much larger than the one that landed here.

It was most likely an air ambulance from a different county because our local one was probably in action. They will find an open area as near to an emergency incident as possible, and they carry paramedics, sometimes a flying doctor and/or surgeon and often one of the flying crew is a medic as well.

Sometimes they will land on a space not bigger than a matchbox such as a clearing in an orchard, or on the motorway (with traffic stopped to leave a space of course.)

Sometimes they provide on site assistance, and sometimes they transport a victim to a trauma unit.

This one took off and headed in the direction of our local hospital, which is the smallest in the area.

Most of them are operated by a charity and rely on public donations.

Like I said, heroes the lot of them.

Well, yer new man is in, and the Clown is out. I wonder if he was allowed to keep his crayons. He can't have any dollies left because he has already thrown them all out the pram.

Other opinions are available.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2021, 06:36 PM

Fruitcake, yes, we likewise have a fairly heavy presence of helicopters here, too. In addition to Coast Guard and Naval training, there is a constant need for rescue and support operations in my part of the world.

Your seem to have extensive knowledge about ships and such! I am impressed, still unraveling much of this :

Maybe the turbo-encabulator has been experiencing inverse reactive current fluctuations, causing transverse thrust on the epicyclic overdrive torque condenser units.

Air ambulance services are critical here as major hospitals are more than an hour away. There seems to be a steady stream of tourist-related accidents and health emergencies (snowbirds having heart attacks usually).

Of interest, my dad started his naval career as a helicopter pilot on an icebreaker stationed in Antarctica. His job was to carry supplies used to construct the earliest bases there. His stories are incredible, like being able to walk right up to Emperor penguins, unafraid because ether had never having seen people before. On one flight, an engine failure resulted in having to ditch. This is a photo of him sporting the beginnings of an illegal-for-officers-at-the-time mustache:

Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2021, 08:28 PM

Here is some eye candy, Pesta. This crew in the photo had just accomplished a perilous rescue.

Be still my beating heart
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2021, 08:31 PM

Just came back from a run to find this Coast Guard ship mooring behind the house.

Initially my heart skipped a beat.

Any guesses as to what they were doing?

What about unusual things going on around your place?

Maybe they were looking for illegal immigrants in small boats that may have got lost when they left France for the UK
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2021, 09:34 PM

Haven't you got any photos for us men?
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2021, 11:19 PM

Are your neighbours doing some sort of conservation work there, Surfermom?
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2021, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Psmith ->
Haven't you got any photos for us men?
Nope.

Alright, no sense in dragging it out any longer. As it turns out, the mission was not terribly eventful.

The ship was being used to install new channel markers that had been destroyed in the two back-to-back hurricanes we had in November. The pile driving shook the house though!

Here are a couple of photos.

Sorry about the quality of the second; I wanted to show that it wasn't five minutes after installation that a pelican roosting on top of one of the markers. Those pelicans find a lot more use from those markers than most of us do!

Red, right on return!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2021, 11:35 PM

I am trying to train navel, not much has happened yet, besides fluff extraction.
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2021, 11:38 PM

Thanks.It's been very interesting.
It always amuses me when wildlife makes use of the stuff we think essential for our needs.The power lines here are a super highway for the possums at night.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

21-01-2021, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
I am trying to train navel, not much has happened yet, besides fluff extraction.
Doing your patriotic duty?

Page 7 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top