Join for free
Page 1 of 44 1 2 3 11 > Last »
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2020, 07:16 PM

Up The Garden Path

Having a bit of time on my hands due to current circumstances, I have managed to get on with a job that's been on hold for a couple of years, the Garden Path. I have raised the level of the Garden hard surfaces to allow for the importation 8 Tonnes of quality Top Soil to lay a complete new Lawn on, note the construction technique. A one and a half inch Concrete base, a three quarter inch sharp sand mortar bed then the slabs as illustrated side supported with mortar as in the photos.

Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2020, 07:23 PM

Re: Up The Garden Path

Nice job Spitty, but I would only say that the edge haunching is unnecessary with fully bedded slabs as there is no sideways pressure to speak of, and the haunching diminishes the amount of topsoil adjacent to the slabs which can in turn inhibit grass growth up to the slab.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2020, 07:03 AM

Looks lovely Spitty....Will keep you fit too
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2020, 07:10 AM

Hi Barry, I did ponder the merit of the haunching, it was done as a bit of belt and bracers, it does have a steep rake so hopefully will not be a problem. The hardest work has been having to hand mix the mortar bed, it has never been successful stopping the mix clumping in the mixer, which is great for concrete but useless for mortar, any suggestions?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

06-05-2020, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Looks lovely Spitty....Will keep you fit too
Hi Summer, you can say that again. Who ever buys this house after we are finished will have a right game if they want to change anything, I'll put a picture of the patio on later, that has a three inch concrete base under it and a half cubic meter drainage system.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2020, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Hi Summer, you can say that again. Who ever buys this house after we are finished will have a right game if they want to change anything, I'll put a picture of the patio on later, that has a three inch concrete base under it and a half cubic meter drainage system.
Look forward to seeing it Spitty
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2020, 09:03 AM

Hi Barry, I did ponder the merit of the haunching, it was done as a bit of belt and bracers, it does have a steep rake so hopefully will not be a problem. The hardest work has been having to hand mix the mortar bed, it has never been successful stopping the mix clumping in the mixer, which is great for concrete but useless for mortar, any suggestions?
I tend to use a wet mix (adding some soft sand) anyway. After 10-15 mins any excess that squirts around the edge can be easily removed without the slabs moving and can be added back into the main mix to soften up again.

Each to their own though.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2020, 09:04 AM

The trick is when using a cement mixer is to make sure the mix is always wetted as you add materials. Start with water in the drum before adding any cement or aggregate, then add the cement and continue to add water as you then add the aggregate, so the mix never gets any drier than the consistency that you will finally want.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

06-05-2020, 10:25 AM

Thanks, water first, you may remember when I built the Conservatory, I bought a brand new Belle Mixer which I kept scrupulously clean and sold on for what I paid when the project was done. When I built the Office rather than hire, I bought a real old 110V Belle which has had a hard life but only cost £30.00 (if I remember right), well, the inside of the drum is far from pristine, there are no large lumps of set concrete inside but, it does not have the smooth original metal finish, could this be making matters worse?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

06-05-2020, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
I tend to use a wet mix (adding some soft sand) anyway. After 10-15 mins any excess that squirts around the edge can be easily removed without the slabs moving and can be added back into the main mix to soften up again.

Each to their own though.
Hi Dextrous, I would describe the mix as wet, but in the dry side 5 - 1 Sharp Sand and cement. I used to use 4 - 1 but, although strong compression to levels with the mallet was a job and a half.

Page 1 of 44 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top