Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2020, 06:35 AM

Kitchen knife sharpening

I have a set of Henckels stainless steel kitchen knives that I want to put an extra sharp edge on. When I say extra sharp, I mean as sharp as a barbers straight razor.

I have been looking at a number of possibilities. The one I'm leaning towards is a double-sided, diamond stone, electro-plated , metal base. 325 grit on one side and 1200 grit on the other side. What say you about that ?

Is it worth the time and expense to buy a leather barbers strop ?

Any other advice gratefully received.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2020, 06:49 AM

Re: Kitchen knife sharpening

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
I have a set of Henckels stainless steel kitchen knives that I want to put an extra sharp edge on. When I say extra sharp, I mean as sharp as a barbers straight razor.

I have been looking at a number of possibilities. The one I'm leaning towards is a double-sided, diamond stone, electro-plated , metal base. 325 grit on one side and 1200 grit on the other side. What say you about that ?

Is it worth the time and expense to buy a leather barbers strop ?

Any other advice gratefully received.
Hi

I can only comment on my own experiences.

Many years ago, when I was training, we did meat inspection in a slaughterhouse.

Knives had to be very sharp, pigs came through on the line at 3 every two minutes.

We had a small break every hour to sharpen the knives.

A pull through sharpener and then an oilstone.

A steel used every third animal.

My knives are very sharp and no use of a leather strop.
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2020, 09:27 AM

1200 grit maybe a bit coarse for a polished honed edge.
Technique is equally important (if not more so) as the materials.
Ensuring the correct sharpening angle can be tricky.
I use a fixed angle knife sharpening device with interchangeable stones.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2020, 09:59 AM

My knives are razor sharp - I use a steel - one of the first things we learned at chef school was how to sharpen our knives.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2020, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
My knives are razor sharp - I use a steel - one of the first things we learned at chef school was how to sharpen our knives.

Tabs,
can you show me a link to your steel please?

I am hopeless at sharpening kitchen knives, and I have worn my penknife blade (for gardening) down to half the size but it's still not sharp - just a lot smaller!

I have a big file for garden equipment, but what's best for smaller kitchen knives please?
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2020, 03:59 PM

Where I live there is a Cook School nearby which offers demo evenings. During these demos, the chefs invite questions, one of which was how to best sharpen kitchen knives.

The chef referred to a device which the cook school sold in their shop, but was good enough to point out that it was available via Amazon at a much cheaper price -

AnySharp Knife Sharpener with PowerGrip, Blue - under £8 and comes with good reviews.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2020, 04:00 PM

I have a problem with keeping the blade of my paring knife sharp too. I only use it for trimming the fat and rind off bacon before I grill it. I normally run it through one of those commercially available hand-held knife sharpeners every time I cook bacon but the edge doesn't seem to last long. BTW, I'm left-handed.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2020, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->

Tabs,
can you show me a link to your steel please?
This is the one I have, Mups.

https://www.procook.co.uk/product/pr...SABEgKlzPD_BwE
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2020, 04:22 PM

I use a steel too, and for the uninitiated in the art there are many tutorials on you tube, such as this here is a quick guide to how to use it with Gordon Ramsay
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2020, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
That’s right. It’s the same with chisels, carving knives or almost anything that cuts. Learning how to sharpen tools is most important to maintaining sharpness.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top