Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Ripple
Ripple is female  Ripple has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2020, 10:46 AM

Re: Kitchen knife sharpening

I use a Chantry manual sharpener.
Bought it about 30yrs ago razor sharpe knives , a good investment.
Scott
New Member!
Utah
Scott is male 

31-10-2020, 11:34 PM

Howdy
I have taken up carving lately. I also purchased a couple of leather strops mounted on wood. One is the leather smooth side and one is the rough side. I use green polishing compound. It makes my knives very sharp. If I happen to get a nick or they get very dull, I use a 1200 grit stone to get the edge back, then I strop them. The rule I follow is “strop it, if stropping doesn’t work, use the stone then strop again”. I’m no expert by any means, but this works for me, and maybe it will work for your kitchen knives.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2020, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
I have a set of Henckels stainless steel kitchen knives that I want to put an extra sharp edge on. When I say extra sharp, I mean as sharp as a barbers straight razor.

I have been looking at a number of possibilities. The one I'm leaning towards is a double-sided, diamond stone, electro-plated , metal base. 325 grit on one side and 1200 grit on the other side. What say you about that ?

Is it worth the time and expense to buy a leather barbers strop ?

Any other advice gratefully received.
I think the leather strop would be much the cheapest bakerman??
And as regards time why should the strop take lomger to
Purchase than the diamond stone ??

Donkeyman ! 👍😁👍
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2020, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Scott ->
Howdy
I have taken up carving lately. I also purchased a couple of leather strops mounted on wood. One is the leather smooth side and one is the rough side. I use green polishing compound. It makes my knives very sharp. If I happen to get a nick or they get very dull, I use a 1200 grit stone to get the edge back, then I strop them. The rule I follow is “strop it, if stropping doesn’t work, use the stone then strop again”. I’m no expert by any means, but this works for me, and maybe it will work for your kitchen knives.
Howdy Scott, l was interested to hear you use a green polishing
compound when sharpening your tools !
Would that compound be green oxide, which can come in block form
and is mixed with oil to make a paste ??
We used to use this to polish the cast iron slideways of machine
slideways?
I believe jewellers rouge is also used for this purpose as well?

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top