Join for free
Page 10 of 13 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2021, 02:50 PM

Re: Do extra terrestrials exist.

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

OGF, if you had met my Ex MIL you would, like me, have been convinced she was not human.
I suspect the same may be said about my MiL too.
She can talk at an inhuman rate, regularly repeating what she has said before presumably for emphasis (or perhaps she has forgotten what she said a few seconds before).

Are all MiLs like that?

I suppose that question could be the basis for the foundation of a new topic.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2021, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

OGF, if you had met my Ex MIL you would, like me, have been convinced she was not human.
And you have to bear in mind Swim, that is what your missus will be like when she gets to your MiL's age...
Perhaps I should get out now while the going is good....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2021, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
The problem with one visible star being our sun billions of years ago is that there should be a long line of such images, each being a few million years younger, stretching right up to where our sun is now. I many be quite wrong, of course.

Yes indeed. Life elsewhere in our galaxy could conceivably be the predecessors of our life here on Earth right now.
The enormous distances between any two star systems would suggest travel (even at light speed) would take years. Who would want to go into space in search of a new planet to populate in the knowledge that you may die on the way, but in the hope that during the journey you might produce offspring who might make it in their own lifetimes.

I think the only reason anyone would do that would be if their own planet was about to be destroyed.
No JB, we are rotating in space.....The earth rotates, the moon rotates around the earth, the earth rotates around the sun, and I believe our solar system is also rotating around something else, and the rotation would continue even larger. So the chances of the earth of the past lining up would be remote indeed. Plus the fact, that at just ten times the speed of light you wouldn't even be able to see the first reflection, even with a telescope, it would be ten years away from its original sighting. What we are seeing when we look up at the stars, is how it used to look depending how far away each star is. They will be all different distances away from us, so the time in the past that we are observing them will vary accordingly.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2021, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
No JB, we are rotating in space.....The earth rotates, the moon rotates around the earth, the earth rotates around the sun, and I believe our solar system is also rotating around something else, and the rotation would continue even larger. So the chances of the earth of the past lining up would be remote indeed. Plus the fact, that at just ten times the speed of light you wouldn't even be able to see the first reflection, even with a telescope, it would be ten years away from its original sighting. What we are seeing when we look up at the stars, is how it used to look depending how far away each star is. They will be all different distances away from us, so the time in the past that we are observing them will vary accordingly.
I think that's similar to what I was trying to say. I'm even more confused now!
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2021, 07:55 PM

I think that's similar to what I was trying to say. I'm even more confused now!
You’re confused.?
I think I see what’s trying to be said, but it still doesn’t answer the question does et exist? of course we have no way of knowing for sure, but distant stars have been found with orbiting planets and some have potential to support life, what that life could be is anyone’s guess atm, it’s more likely to be bacterial and not intelligent at all, of course intelligent life has to exist at the same time as we do for their to be any contact, via radio waves, but even then it won’t reach us for many years,
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

14-01-2021, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
You’re confused.?
I think I see what’s trying to be said, but it still doesn’t answer the question does et exist? of course we have no way of knowing for sure, but distant stars have been found with orbiting planets and some have potential to support life, what that life could be is anyone’s guess atm, it’s more likely to be bacterial and not intelligent at all, of course intelligent life has to exist at the same time as we do for their to be any contact, via radio waves, but even then it won’t reach us for many years,
I agree.

It is quite likely that there is bacterial life on other planets even within our solar system.

More intelligent life having the ability to communicate with us must be at least as far away as 120 light years, as our very first radio broadcast took place (I think) in 1895.
At that furthest distance, any reply from them might not happen for another 120 years.

Of course, a closer civilisation with the necessary technology could well exist but they may not want to communicate with us...
and personally I don't think I'd blame them!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

14-01-2021, 09:40 PM

I concede that it is possible for some basic life to be present on other worlds in the universe. But even planets that enjoy a habitable distance from their sun, we are assuming they contain the same collection of minerals and a suitable atmosphere to sustain life. They must also have the same gravity as Earth to produce similar life. So the exact same size as the Earth will be required. Any larger and the gravity would be too great, and any smaller and the gravity would be less, so heaven knows what creatures would develop on such planets.

The chances of exactly replicating Earth are billions to one, and the chances of finding life there that we would recognise as life, is also a billion to one against. Therefore, in my opinion there is absolutely no possibility that we have ever had visitors from other worlds, because those worlds are devoid of any life that could transcend the distances involved, as are we.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2021, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I concede that it is possible for some basic life to be present on other worlds in the universe. But even planets that enjoy a habitable distance from their sun, we are assuming they contain the same collection of minerals and a suitable atmosphere to sustain life. They must also have the same gravity as Earth to produce similar life. So the exact same size as the Earth will be required. Any larger and the gravity would be too great, and any smaller and the gravity would be less, so heaven knows what creatures would develop on such planets.

The chances of exactly replicating Earth are billions to one, and the chances of finding life there that we would recognise as life, is also a billion to one against. Therefore, in my opinion there is absolutely no possibility that we have ever had visitors from other worlds, because those worlds are devoid of any life that could transcend the distances involved, as are we.
But what if intelligent life exists in another galaxy, and they have found a way to create a wormhole to bend space so that travelling to another point takes very little time , ?, I guess we’ll never know in our lifetime.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

14-01-2021, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
But what if intelligent life exists in another galaxy, and they have found a way to create a wormhole to bend space so that travelling to another point takes very little time , ?, I guess we’ll never know in our lifetime.
We might if they've found a wormhole, though I have no idea whether such things are even possible.

Oh yes, of course I've seen them on Star Trek and they seem an excellent idea!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

14-01-2021, 11:28 PM

We might if they've found a wormhole, though I have no idea whether such things are even possible.

Oh yes, of course I've seen them on Star Trek and they seem an excellent idea!
Absolutely JB, there is no end to the imagination of the human mind. "You cannot change the laws of physics Jim!"

Page 10 of 13 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top