Join for free
Page 13 of 27 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 > Last »
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2021, 02:10 PM

Re: Is Brexit over ??

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
The reason fishing is only such a sall part of our economy is that
most of it has been transferred to the EU via the CFP over forty
years of manipulation!!
Why do you think EU is kicking in up such a fuss if it is worth nothing??
Apart from that, the advantage of having a thriving fishing industry
again is so that the coastal communities can once again take a
full part in the UK economy and rely on themselves for their incomes
instead of being on universal credit etc ?? I think you will agree these
communities have been sorely misused since being in the EU??
Hopefully they will be able to regain their pride if Boris continues to
deliver what he promised !!

Donkeyman! 🤗🤗
Oh I quite agree that the CFP changed things hugely but I'm not convinced that our fishing industry - especially fishermen - are going to make the most of things and improve things greatly.
It would take a far, far bigger rise in the whole industry than even the most optimistic forecasts suggest to make a noticable contribution by the industry towards gross national income.

I think you're expecting way too much if you think that improving the industry is going to make any real change in coastal communities too - that ship sailed long ago and having a few more fisherman ain't going to make one jot of difference.
What would make a difference is getting us British to eat more and different seafoods again and even if that is possible it will take decades before any beneficial imopact is seen.
Otherwise those few extra fishermen will land their fish in a few major ports and see it transported to even fewer processing plants and markets, so these coastal towns will see no benefit whatsoever.

Oh and the EU kick up a fuss about anything if they think it will help politically - especially where they might lose out.
That bluster is all part of who the EU are but it means nothing.
As the old saying goes: actions speak louder than words.
Here the actions were that the EU were so frightened that they would lose all access to UK waters and so it incentivised the EU as part of a larger trade deal.

I'm not here to change your mind or anybody else's BTW; I fully accept what a futile ask that would be.
If your mind is already made up .............
But I will point out the erroneous interpretations which lead tofalse statements or - like here - point out other (and possibly more-likely) conclusions to be drawn from what little fact exists so far.

For example, as you know I live quite near to Hull and to Grimsby.
Grimsby is one of the largest fish markets and seafood processors in the UK.
There is absolutely nothing negative coming from the industry in Grimsby or in Hull so far.
I accept that this might change in the future but for now, nothing.
Which indicates to me that whatever problems might exist are localised and minimal.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2021, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Exactly. We have not achieved Brexit yet. We are still tied to the EU's rules in a number of ways.

Northern Ireland is still under EU control. I suspect they're hoping for Scotland too.

Divide and conquer?

That is so ridiculous as to be funny, especially when evidence has just been posted that the UK has the option to remove what little EU influence exists in NI.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2021, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Exactly. We have not achieved Brexit yet. We are still tied to the EU's rules in a number of ways.

Northern Ireland is still under EU control. I suspect they're hoping for Scotland too.

Divide and conquer?
Voters can do nothing, down to the politicians.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2021, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
Voters can do nothing, down to the politicians.
I know.

We can in 2024, of course, but by then...
Zaphod
Lincs UK

14-01-2021, 03:08 PM

If the British public aren't happy they will vote for Nigel's party in May.
We already know how good he is at publicity and garnering support.
So if people want change the opportunity is there soon, no need to wait for years.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2021, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
Oh we know about "shrinkflation" - but that's a mixture of marketing and increasing or maintaining profitabilty.
People are more wise to it nowadays too.

Where is Nutella made, and who by?
The supermarket alternatives are often at least equal in quality, contain more product and are far, far cheaper.
Which do you think a disatisfied consumer on seeing such shrinkage is going to buy most often?
I appreciate you aren't knocking me Zaphod but I'll answer your question all the same. Nutella is made by Ferrero (makers of the Ambassador's favourite gold foil wrapped nutty chocolate balls) in Italy.

That is so ridiculous as to be funny, especially when evidence has just been posted that the UK has the option to remove what little EU influence exists in NI.
I wonder why the relevant section of the FTA hasn't been applied yet to prevent the blockage to food shipments to NI?
Zaphod
Lincs UK

14-01-2021, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
I appreciate you aren't knocking me Zaphod but I'll answer your question all the same. Nutella is made by Ferrero (makers of the Ambassador's favourite gold foil wrapped nutty chocolate balls) in Italy.
No I wasn't, Percy.
I was trying to point out that most frequently it is the big multinationals that use shrinkflation.
Nestle (Swiss) and Cadburys (Mondelez/Kraft) for example have been doing it for decades.

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
I wonder why the relevant section of the FTA hasn't been applied yet to prevent the blockage to food shipments to NI?
I can only assume (I know: a dangerous practise) that it is to show willing.
"Ah but we tried that and ..." sort of thing.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2021, 05:46 PM

If the British public aren't happy they will vote for Nigel's party in May.
We already know how good he is at publicity and garnering support.
So if people want change the opportunity is there soon, no need to wait for years.
If Boris allows them to go ahead because of covid then these local elections will be an indication of public support, keep the government on their toes, and a reminder they are under close scrutiny.
Zaphod
Lincs UK

14-01-2021, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
If Boris allows them to go ahead because of covid then these local elections will be an indication of public support, keep the government on their toes, and a reminder they are under close scrutiny.

AFAIK it isn't up to Boris though; IIRC it would take a change in the law before elections can be delayes, & that means a vote in Parliament.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2021, 06:50 PM

Hi

Boris does not do detail.

I am not surprised at all by all the problems now surfacing.

The thing is he has got us out of the EU.

The boring bits can and will be sorted out.

It is man in a suit job,

I am no longer working, but many like me still are and things will get sorted.

Boris has got us out, which is what we voted for.

He is concentrating on Covid, which is an advantage.

The men in grey suits will beat the French, you can rely on that.
He is keeping his nose out and letting the men in grey suits get on with it.

Page 13 of 27 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top