Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2021, 11:19 PM

Re: What have you been baking or cooking.

A nice pot-roast completed in the oven and the resultant juices decanted into my slow cooker containing some shin-beef, parsnips, carrots, and onions.

Should be able to get quite a few meals from that lot.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2021, 12:49 AM

Beef casserole and dumplings. Ate one portion and froze three more - yummy it was too.

The other day i also made some Chicken Noodle soup for the freezer too.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2021, 11:19 AM

Hi

Yorkshire puddings, but huge ones I can fill with a variety of things.

Pasta bakes, differing recipies.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2021, 12:19 PM

I made cheese scones, yesterday.

Butternut squash, red,yellow,peppers, onions,garlic, soup.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2021, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Yorkshire puddings, but huge ones I can fill with a variety of things.

Pasta bakes, differing recipies.

I don’t have great success, with Y, pudding....what’s the secret, to get them to rise?
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

20-01-2021, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
A nice pot-roast completed in the oven and the resultant juices decanted into my slow cooker containing some shin-beef, parsnips, carrots, and onions.

Should be able to get quite a few meals from that lot.

Indeed, and think of the money we save, by doing it that way.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

20-01-2021, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Beef casserole and dumplings. Ate one portion and froze three more - yummy it was too.

The other day i also made some Chicken Noodle soup for the freezer too.

My mouth is now watering, I haven’t made dumplings in a long time,...are yours fluffy?....again, not great at making them...I must try harder.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

20-01-2021, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
One potato, one carrot, half onion, a few florets of cauli and broccoli, in a veg stock pot, and blended.

Sounds, yummy.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2021, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
I don’t have great success, with Y, pudding....what’s the secret, to get them to rise?
Do what I do pauline. Buy the 4 minute shop bought ones!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2021, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Yorkshire pudding should be made by ingredients of equal volume, not weight. I use one of those measuring cups which that come as a set of four in different sizes. 1 cup, half cup, 1/3 cup and 1/4 cup.

For a decent sized pudding (10" x 8" roasting tin) use:

1/2 cup plain flour
1/2 cup eggs
1/2 cup semi-skimmed milk
pinch of salt.

Fill cup with plain flour and level off top. Put flour into a decent sized bowl and then add salt.
Fill cup with eggs (around 2 is average) and after making a well in the flour, pour in the eggs.
Using a balloon whisk, lightly beat the eggs and then begin to incorporate the flour a bit at a time, until a thickish batter is produced.
At this stage fill your cup with the milk and add a little to the batter to slacken it. Keep beating the batter incorporating more flour and milk a bit at a time before finally adding the remainder of the milk.
Continue to beat the batter mix with the whisk to get some air into it, this will help it rise.
Place your chosen fat into your roasting tin - enough to cover the base. I use 1 x tbs. duck or goose fat. Coconut fat will do at a pinch or even sunflower oil. Don't use olive oil because it will burn.
Place your roasting tin in the middle shelf of a pre-heated oven at around 200degc and leave it alone for a good 15 mins or so.
When you're ready, give your batter another whisk and pour into the tin. The batter should sizzle around the edges as you pour it in.
Close the oven door, turn the temp down to around 180degc and forget about it for at least 12mins (I have a fan assisted electric oven, so you may have to adjust this time). After that time open the oven door slightly to check. If you have a glass door, even better. When the pudding is well risen, take it out and scoff it.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top