Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2021, 07:46 AM

Gas boiler replacing

our gas boiler is still working OK but we think it will soon be time to replace it.

Has anyone here has a new one recently if so how much did you pay, where did you find the best deal please
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2021, 11:06 AM

Re: Gas boiler replacing

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
our gas boiler is still working OK but we think it will soon be time to replace it.

Has anyone here has a new one recently if so how much did you pay, where did you find the best deal please
A lot of it will depend on how big a boiler you will need, we recently had a new Baxi combi fitted (10 year guarantee) by our local plumber for just under two grand, but British Gas quoted nearly double that, so always get a couple of quotes and ideally three, so that you can get a good comparison before deciding.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2021, 11:17 AM

We had an old Worcester-Bosch boiler which must have been here long before we moved here over ten years ago, as it was well out of its warranty.
It worked, but we kept having the occasional problem.

Fortunately, we had taken out a service and maintenance contract with a local heating firm who we kept calling out. They kept replacing parts without any additional charge, of course, so I think we got our money's worth!

Two or three years ago, we got a new boiler from W-B and this has worked perfectly. It's still under warranty.
As for which brand of boiler to go for, I couldn't possibly say. I did have a look for recommendations on the plumbing & heating section of a web site (I can't post a link here, but it is called DiYnot) and all I could gain from that was that every heating engineer seemed to like different brands of boiler!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2021, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
A lot of it will depend on how big a boiler you will need, we recently had a new Baxi combi fitted (10 year guarantee) by our local plumber for just under two grand, but British Gas quoted nearly double that, so always get a couple of quotes and ideally three, so that you can get a good comparison before deciding.
Hi

Very sensible advice Barry.

I am replacing mine soon, using the Gas Lass, a local Plumber

She is cheap, good, clean and tidy..
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2021, 11:35 AM

Always better using the local tradespeople Lion Queen. We had a Worcester Bosch fitted by the local gas bloke, not only is he a runner... But he only lives around the corner. He comes out once a year to service said boiler for a reasonable price.
Just make sure they are 'Gas Safe' registered....
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2021, 12:03 PM

Lion Queen, You might want to consider buying a "on demand" tankless, style water heater.
How does that work? It hangs on the wall and heats water only when a hot water tap is turned on. No demand, no heating. So there can be a big savings in gas bill. There is no sense heating water when you are not even home. Like when you go to the coast for a 3-day week-end.
also this type is very, very much cheaper than the old style water heater that keeps water hot 24/7 even if there is no demand.
one caution, however. Don't buy the cheapest style. It will not give great performance. Do a little investigation and chose one that will put out all the hot water for your home's needs.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	rheem-tankless-water-heater.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	14579  
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2021, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Lion Queen, You might want to consider buying a "on demand" tankless, style water heater.
How does that work? It hangs on the wall and heats water only when a hot water tap is turned on. No demand, no heating. So there can be a big savings in gas bill.
also this type is very, very much cheaper than the old style water heater that keeps water hot 24/7 even if there is no demand.
one caution, however. Don't buy the cheapest style. It will not give great performance. Do a little investigation and chose one that will put out all the hot water for your home's needs.
I remember our having one of those when I was a child. 'Ascot' was the brand. Of course, it didn't provide central heating as well, and I'm pretty sure it couldn't cope with running a bath!

I'd suggest that a better option is the system we have. It's a closed system without a hot water tank or an immersion heater.
The boiler comes on when the room thermostat falls below a set level.
Hot water is provided on demand so if the heating isn't on the boiler doesn't turn on until you turn on the hot tap.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2021, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I remember our having one of those when I was a child. 'Ascot' was the brand. Of course, it didn't provide central heating as well, and I'm pretty sure it couldn't cope with running a bath!

I'd suggest that a better option is the system we have. It's a closed system without a hot water tank or an immersion heater.
The boiler comes on when the room thermostat falls below a set level.
Hot water is provided on demand so if the heating isn't on the boiler doesn't turn on until you turn on the hot tap.
They have much improved styles now. Not like the old days.
Of course, a tankless water heater DOES NOT provide any central heating. That is the job of a furnace. If Lion Queen has the very old style of radiators, then she needs more than I suggested.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2021, 01:44 PM

I asked my plumber an approximate cost of a new Vaillant combi when he was servicing mine in December, and he said probably between £2,000 - £3,000, but that wasn't a firm quote, just an estimated one at the time.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2021, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
They have much improved styles now. Not like the old days.
Of course, a tankless water heater DOES NOT provide any central heating. That is the job of a furnace. If Lion Queen has the very old style of radiators, then she needs more than I suggested.
What you are describing we call a Combi (combination) boiler. The new modern ones heat the domestic water as demand dictates such as you describe, but they also heat the central heating too, and very efficiently may I add

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top