Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 11:03 AM

Living near Family Members

Do you live near your family members?

Is it a good thing?

What are the positives or negatives, living close to them?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 12:12 PM

Re: Living near Family Members

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Do you live near your family members?

Is it a good thing?

What are the positives or negatives, living close to them?
Most of my family members are home in Eire apart from a little nest of cousins in Lincolnshire, and a couple more in the Midlands. We keep in touch regularly but, obviously, have not visited recently.

Not sure distance makes a great of difference as we were never in each others pockets to begin with.

I miss going home - the place as much as the people!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 12:13 PM

What are your own views, Pauline?
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 12:20 PM

Hi ST, my son would like me to rent my house out, then go and live with him, he would then spend time with his partner and me,...

Obviously not yet, he’s looking at it from a financial position as well,...a good income each month topped up with my pension,.....I doubt I will be doing it though,....I love where he lives in Newbury, it’s over an hours journey either way.....anyway I will pray about it....
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

19-01-2021, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Most of my family members are home in Eire apart from a little nest of cousins in Lincolnshire, and a couple more in the Midlands. We keep in touch regularly but, obviously, have not visited recently.

Not sure distance makes a great of difference as we were never in each others pockets to begin with.

I miss going home - the place as much as the people!
We’re you brought up in Ireland?
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 12:34 PM

I have family living in the same town and it is lovely seeing them (pre-Covid of course) for visits, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to live with any of them. I like my privacy, peace and quiet too much.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

19-01-2021, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by tachyon ->
i have family living in the same town and it is lovely seeing them (pre-covid of course) for visits, but i sure as hell wouldn't want to live with any of them. :d i like my privacy, peace and quiet too much.

Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 12:49 PM

My Son lives here with me, has done all his life. He is now 54. We get on fine, he couldn't live on his own as he is diabetic & went to a special school, also he doesn't earn enough to support himself.
Daughter lives a couple of streets away with her partner in walking distance about 10 minutes. I see her all the time.
Brother & Sis-in-Law live in Yorkshire so I haven't seen them for years, but we do keep in touch by phone.
That is all our Family now.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 01:28 PM

No not now I spend most of my time up north. My son is the nearest he still lives in Perth, it's 240 miles south, he looks after my house for me.
My daughter and her family are 260 miles south, also my sister and niece are around the same distance.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 03:57 PM

My parents are no longer with us.

My brother and SiL and my nieces and their families live in Yorkshire.
My nephew and his wife live in London.

Our eldest son lives with his family a forty minute drive south of here, still in Zumerzet, and our youngest son lives with his family about twenty minutes away by car in the other direction.
I have a cousin in the same city as our youngest, and another cousin in NZ, but we aren't really very close.

My Lovely Cousin and I had a loft conversion with a bedroom and en suet built for us just over three years ago, and converted what then became the middle floor into a self contained apartment so my Outlaws could move in with us.

They spend the night and morning in their own space, then join us for a communal lunch. We spend the afternoon together then they go back upstairs for tea and spend the evening there as well before going to bed.

My Cousin is my Uncle's main carer now and it is so much easier having them here with us even though they had their own place a few minutes walk away until they could no longer cope on their own.

My Uncle has known me since I was a babe in arms and I met the lady who became his second wife a few months before their wedding, over forty-five years ago, and we got on really well from the start.
Her two daughters became my cousins when their mother married my Uncle and he then adopted them, and the girls and I hit it off and became friends.

I married the younger of the two girls eight years after we met, and the older girl married the boy next door a few years later. They live the other side of the town from us and we still get on really well.

Our house is full of laughter on a daily basis. I am rude to my Aunty/MiL, and she loves it. I tell her that since she is my Mother-in-Law, being rude to her is in my job description.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top