Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2021, 12:37 PM

what store

If you could bring a large store that we used to have such as Woolworths, C & A etc which would you like to see back

I'd love to see Woolies back, i miss it. What shops/ store do you miss and would you like to see return?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2021, 12:47 PM

Re: what store

I would love to see Woolworths back, I used to love wandering round the store, especially at Christmas time, I could often pick up a present or two there.

C & A was one of my favourite clothes stores back in the 70/80s ..... i would like to see them back too.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2021, 12:50 PM

Yes Woolworth was sorely missed here when it closed. I also miss the wool shops, we had several and one was really big. I have to rely on Ebay for my wool now.
I also miss Littlewoods and C&A too.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2021, 12:51 PM

Woolworths was brilliant in it's hay day but in later years it was mainly just a music store as I remember.

Yes I loved C&A too & would love to see it back.

I miss Richard Shops & Etam. They were two of my favourite fashion shops.
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2021, 12:53 PM

Yes Woolworths, but the old style that I remember from the 1960s, which had counters arranged as islands, and the assistant stood inside and served all around her (it was usually a lady)

The products were reasonable quality and good value

Later, towards the end, the standards went down, and it became quite cheap and tatty
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2021, 01:00 PM

None. I much prefer on line shopping. Woolworths stuff was --- not the best quality so definitely NOT Woolworths.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2021, 01:05 PM

I remember Woolies selling mainly sweets in its later years but it was good in its heyday. As for a return, i would like to see Debenhams come back. Their empty stores leave huge gaps in the high street.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2021, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
None. I much prefer on line shopping. Woolworths stuff was --- not the best quality so definitely NOT Woolworths.
Trust you lol
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2021, 02:07 PM

We used to have an amazing store named 'Leak and Thorpe' - it was huge and had lots of floors.

Basement - here you could find top quality china/glassware/cutlery as well as as every kitchen appliance/gadget known to man. If you were collecting for your 'bottom drawer' they put things aside for you to purchase as and when you could.

Ground floor
Mens/womens/childrens clothing. Everything from tiny 'Cherub' brand vests to smart suits.

1st floor
Fabrics, curtaining, dress patterns, knitting wool, haberdashery - and the most spectacular wedding gowns.

2nd floor
Furniture for every room in the house - G Plan, Ercol, Lloyd Loom, Parker Knoll etc.,

Top floor
Restaurant - silver service - courteous uniformed staff - and windows with beautiful views across the river.

What have 'they' replaced it with? Poundland, Charity shops, and cheap chain stores such TKMax, River Island etc.,
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2021, 02:13 PM

Just found out C&A have an online store.

https://www.c-and-a.com/eu/en/shop/w...ycCrJhr54Va1ke

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top