Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
rhosyn
South Wales
rhosyn is female  rhosyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2021, 02:30 PM

Re: what store

Bought a lot of Ladybird clothes from Woolworths when my children were small(long time ago)Also used to buy pick&mix Christmas time.C&A was "the" place for fashion.
Sweetsue
midWales
Sweetsue is female  Sweetsue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2021, 02:44 PM

Seem to think C&A were going strong in Belgium when we used to go on a "booze run" round about Christmas time.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2021, 03:51 PM

Haywood's in Huddersfield - it was the first store to have an escalator. Very fascinating for a young lad (because I was a young lad then. ). It covered three floors. Furniture on the top floor (we got a suite on tick from there), groceries on the ground floor, and clothing on the lower floor. The place burned to the ground in the mid-sixties and such was the blaze, it could be seen for miles around. Fire engines came from Huddersfield, Halifax, and Bradford to tackle the blaze which took two days to get under control.
All of their financial records were destroyed in the blaze, and as far as I know, mum was the only one who turned up to honour her debt after an appeal went out for debtors to come forward.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2021, 03:52 PM

Radioshack.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2021, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by zuludog ->
Yes Woolworths, but the old style that I remember from the 1960s, which had counters arranged as islands, and the assistant stood inside and served all around her (it was usually a lady)

The products were reasonable quality and good value

Later, towards the end, the standards went down, and it became quite cheap and tatty
Yes, I agree entirely. At the beginning of every senior school year I would treat myself to a new Winfield cartridge pen - they suited my handwriting style perfectly until the nib shape changed.

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Radioshack.
Tandy UK (later bought and closed down by Carphone Wharehouse) was the UK arm of Radioshack. Great place to buy the odd bits and bobs needed for TV and radio repairs, etc back in the days of steam powered entertainment .
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2021, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
If you could bring a large store that we used to have such as Woolworths, C & A etc which would you like to see back

I'd love to see Woolies back, i miss it. What shops/ store do you miss and would you like to see return?
Yes, Woolies for me too. I loved that shop.

Forgot to mention Evans too.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2021, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
None. I much prefer on line shopping. Woolworths stuff was --- not the best quality so definitely NOT Woolworths.
I quite agree.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2021, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
None. I much prefer on line shopping. Woolworths stuff was --- not the best quality so definitely NOT Woolworths.
Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
I quite agree.
But Guy's, the Homemaker china sets were lovely. They are still worth something on the second hand market now also. Sadly my parents never kept theirs.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2021, 09:14 PM

Anyone living near Southend might remember Keddies. A lovely old traditional store.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2021, 09:14 PM

Whaa!?..Woolworths is still very much alive here. Big stores everywhere. Lots of green colour. I buy stuff there frequently. Excuse my ignorance but why is it not in the UK??

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	woolworths-pause-online-shopping.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	14600  

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top