Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2019, 06:21 PM

Parliament v Democracy??

Is parliament becoming anti democratic now it has tasted
Success so far, of thwarting the democratic decision of
the people to leave the eu!
The lib- dems are now proposing that they can legislate to
cancel brexit without taking a public vote on it? Thereby
opening the path to parliament ruling by legistation instead
of listening bto the people! Who after all are the ones that
really know if things are improving or otherwse as most of
them dont exist under the rose tinted bubble of the city of
London?
Regards Donkeyman!
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2019, 06:42 PM

Re: Parliament v Democracy??

^^^^^

My thoughts exactly.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2019, 10:38 PM

Much patting of the back must be going on.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2019, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Is parliament becoming anti democratic now it has tasted
Success so far, of thwarting the democratic decision of
the people to leave the eu!
The lib- dems are now proposing that they can legislate to
cancel brexit without taking a public vote on it? Thereby
opening the path to parliament ruling by legistation instead
of listening bto the people! Who after all are the ones that
really know if things are improving or otherwse as most of
them dont exist under the rose tinted bubble of the city of
London?
Regards Donkeyman!
I can't see them ever being elected so I'm not sure why this is causing such an outcry. However, what you have described above is how our Parliament has always worked. The parliamentary system has always set legislation. We have hardly ever been consulted before. I doubt we ever will be again. Looking at the current situation, if we had a direct democracy we would end up with total anarchy.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2019, 11:15 PM

As long as we retain the right to vote for our representatives in the House of Commons, we still retain a measure of democracy.

The problem is that, because our MPs are unassailable for a five year period between elections, many of them feel at liberty to behave as they wish including defecting to another political party if they object to the decisions made by the government.

This is one reason why I believe the 'fixed term parliament' is an undemocratic decided by you-know-who.

I know I have said this before, but I strongly believe that two things should be put in place:

- a shorter maximum term before a general election must be called - say 3 years; and

- the facility for an early general election to be called at the insistence of a required number of public demands, along the lines of the facility already in place for the public to call for a specific matter to be discussed in Parliament. This, of course, could easily and quickly take place by means of the internet.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2019, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I can't see them ever being elected so I'm not sure why this is causing such an outcry. However, what you have described above is how our Parliament has always worked. The parliamentary system has always set legislation. We have hardly ever been consulted before. I doubt we ever will be again. Looking at the current situation, if we had a direct democracy we would end up with total anarchy.
Ah, but only if the majority of people voted for it!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2019, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Ah, but only if the majority of people voted for it!
Nobody would ever agree on anything. We'd get nothing done. it's hard enough to get anything done with delegated democracy. Ultimately we'd end up with a dictatorship.

Parliament are representative of the people. We had a referendum. It was very close. We see the result of that lean majority in parliament. There are just as many pro leave MPs sending Brexit down the drain by insisting on an extreme outcome. Nobody who voted leave seems to consider that it's their intransigence that is just as unhelpful and just as "undemocratic".

As for Corbyn it seems he will sacrifice his own anti eu principles to gain power.

I was watching the last night of the proms tonight. A lot of EU flags. It's all a bit of a mess tbh.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2019, 09:00 AM

Switzerland seem to have their ducks in a row when it comes to government.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2019, 10:24 AM

The difference this time Annies, is we had a referendum
on a specific issue, and for the first time ever the result
was at odds with the expected result? If we live in a
democracy then it requires that the majority prevails ?
As far as being a representative democracy is concerned
to be a representative you have to represent???
Regards Donkeyman!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

15-09-2019, 11:06 AM

Nobody would ever agree on anything. We'd get nothing done. it's hard enough to get anything done with delegated democracy. Ultimately we'd end up with a dictatorship.

Parliament are representative of the people. We had a referendum. It was very close. We see the result of that lean majority in parliament. There are just as many pro leave MPs sending Brexit down the drain by insisting on an extreme outcome. Nobody who voted leave seems to consider that it's their intransigence that is just as unhelpful and just as "undemocratic".

As for Corbyn it seems he will sacrifice his own anti eu principles to gain power.

I was watching the last night of the proms tonight. A lot of EU flags. It's all a bit of a mess tbh.
On that basis, perhaps we should re-run future general elections if the difference in vote numbers amounts to a little over a million.

As for the Last Night, I don't watch it now. It's not just the imposition of EU flags in what was once a celebration of British history, there is also the situation now where they have reduced the number of songs of overtly British pride, possibly for PC reasons. Remember that the programme is broadcast by the A-BBC.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top