Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2019, 09:26 AM

RNLI lost the plot - donations diverted to foreign "aid"

We never disclose what we do when it comes to charitable contributions but as from today the RNLI are totally off our admittedly small list.

Headline in today's Sunday Times reads RNLI funding burkinis for Africans while cutting jobs

that would be bad enough but worse emerges in the article.

IMO it's worth reading the article. I did and I'm shocked.

FFS they only have one job to do, safeguard shipping and rescue people who need help around OUR bloody shores and that is why we have been dropping a few quid to the RNLI every year for over fifty years. Well no more.

To say that I was gutted to read what is now going on just doesn't come close to how I feel.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2019, 09:40 AM

Re: RNLI lost the plot - donations diverted to foreign "aid"

They have been diverting some funds overseas for years! I was an active life governor for many years and as soon as they started funding overseas I withdrew my support. Its The Royal NATIONAL Lifeboat Institute and NOT the International.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2019, 09:59 AM

Oh dear, I really hope this isn't true.

My late dad supported the RNLI and it would have broke his heart if he knew about this. One of his last wishes in his will was to give a nice donation from his savings to the RNLI and one of the first things I did after he passed away was to go the office at Bridlington personally with a cheque for them.

After the debacle with Oxfam and the finding out that a lot of the donations don't even go to the famine, it's a shame that genuine charities are missing out too because people no longer trust them.

It's probably best to donate to local charities, such a cancer hospitals.
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2019, 10:07 AM

I donate to one only The Hampshire & IOW Air Ambulance.
I was told long ago that more than 75% of all donations to various charities goes for "Administration costs" I suspects this means into the pockets of the bosses.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2019, 10:08 AM

Reading the article it seems donations were made to overseas projects under the guise almost of saving lives from drowning, stopping children swimming in the sea being one such project. However, home comes first and to be cutting jobs while making these kinds of donations will be seen by many exactly as others here and myself would see it – completely appalling! How those working for free on call 24/7 will view it is beyond my understanding, they will be gutted I imagine.

RNLI is one of those charities that many would donate to at the end of their days, I certainly would have done prior to reading the article. Now that has made me realise this needs to be looked into before making any donations to any charities at all. Link to article should anyone wish to read it:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/r...jobs-tnctwwl7d

The link above to The Times is a 'once only free read' as it's a subscription online newspaper, the link below also gives details and is free to read as many times as you like:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...nt-abroad.html
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2019, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
I donate to one only The Hampshire & IOW Air Ambulance.
I was told long ago that more than 75% of all donations to various charities goes for "Administration costs" I suspects this means into the pockets of the bosses.
Well of course it does. That is why I no longer donate cash to any charity’s.
I will take stuff to one of my local Cancer research charity shops. As it gets rid of my unwanted junk. But I suppose the money that they sell it for also goes into ‘Administration costs.’
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2019, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
Well of course it does. That is why I no longer donate cash to any charity’s.
I will take stuff to one of my local Cancer research charity shops. As it gets rid of my unwanted junk. But I suppose the money that they sell it for also goes into ‘Administration costs.’
That's it, Emjay.
We have a local cancer hospital called Dove House that does great work and they have probably three dozen or so shops dotted around the local area. They are all run by volunteers though and appear to be very genuine. We always send our old clothes and stuff to them.
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2019, 10:31 AM

In the dailymail article, it mentions that only 2% of it's received donations goes towards international aid. Personally, i do not care if it's 1% or 0.1%, i give my money to the RNLI in the knowledge that it is spent on the RNLI in the UK. There are many other charities that people can give to if they want it to be used for aid in other international countries. The RNLI will not receive my money anymore.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2019, 10:53 AM

How do they fund their losses?
Does government make up the shortfall?
What is the administrations expenses policy?
All the above and more need investigating thoroughly!!
It is disgusting that what was a good cause has been
hi-jacked in this way? And imo it is not the only case?
Charities have now become businesses!!

Regards Donkeyman!
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2019, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
How do they fund their losses?
Does government make up the shortfall?
What is the administrations expenses policy?
All the above and more need investigating thoroughly!!
It is disgusting that what was a good cause has been
hi-jacked in this way? And imo it is not the only case?
Charities have now become businesses!!

Regards Donkeyman!
Don't bring that lot into it, they are the worst ones of all with sending money abroad to be misappropriated! Another scheme might just give them more ideas!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top