Join for free
Page 7 of 7 « First < 5 6 7
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2020, 03:25 PM

Re: Things are moving.

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Agreed. Regarding driving licences, when I went to work in Italy in 1984 (well before such things were harmonised I might add), I was told by the HR dept that I had to have an Italian driving licence so, I gave up my UK licence and within days had a spanking new Italian one in my wallet. Didn't cost me a penny more than the annual renewal tax on driving licences . When I returned to the UK, I simply handed in my Italian licence and it was replaced with a UK one.
Yeah it's surprisingly simple. I went for a Swiss one years ago and its just a question of filling in a form and paying about 200CHF.

Our MRA's are already in place with the USA, New Zealand, Switzerland, Japan etc. It's the sort of thing you can do over lunch.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2020, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Simply not true.

We already have mutual recognition with other countries outside the EU, all over the world. For example, I can rent a car in the USA with my existing driving license and not have to take a driving test in the USA and obtain a USA driving license. It works the other way too.

Now we have left the EU we can continue to rent cars in the USA with our existing EU licenses and new UK ones will be treated the same - it will be the same for the USA wanting to rent cars here.
That's nice. Any 16 year old american who has just got his driving license in the usa, on coming to the UK is supplied with a spanking new british one? Believe it yourself?
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2020, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
That's nice. Any 16 year old american who has just got his driving license in the usa, on coming to the UK is supplied with a spanking new british one? Believe it yourself?
No we aren't replacing one law with another. It's called mutual recognition ... the clue is in the name.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2020, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
No we aren't replacing one law with another. It's called mutual recognition ... the clue is in the name.
Like in that example percy gave?

Certainly in Italy, a University student spends 4 years to reach the equivalent of our Masters degree, which is accepted there. They do not recognise our Bachelors degree as it is awarded after only 3 years of study.
https://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=69441

Page 7 of 7 « First < 5 6 7

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top