Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2020, 08:31 AM

UK Fisheries.

Hi

An interesting article about how things work.

https://conservativewoman.co.uk/ther...-british-fish/
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2020, 09:27 AM

Re: UK Fisheries.

She is of course right. We Brits have over the generations, tended to become very staid and conservative with our choice of fish. Most Fish and Chip shops always have a choice of either only Cod or Haddock, (Pollock if shortage of the other two). Salmon or Prawns are the only other two species of fish that we seem happy to consume. With me personally I love Lemon Sole.
Not very adventurous are we?

As for Fish such as Turbot and Trout? I would have been happy to try them but when younger, these two were way beyond the means of ordinary worker's pockets.
Not much difference even now with the expensive Turbot!

HWMO tells me when he was a child growing up in London, the only oily fish they ate were tons of Spratts, while here in Shropshire it was usually tinned Sardines or Pilchards in tomato sauce for us!.

I've never tried Mackeral, but SIL has said that it is lovely served with a Gooseberry Sauce, so I may be tempted to try it one day! It would be nice if we ate more of what we catch in our waters. We are blessed with some of the most popular fish in the world in our very own fishing waters.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2020, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

An interesting article about how things work.

https://conservativewoman.co.uk/ther...-british-fish/
Very good article Swimmy
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2020, 09:48 AM

Even the French are outraged over the Germans and the Dutch over pulse beam trawling. Can't wait to ban this and start impounding their boats, fining the criminals doing this and selling off their assets.

It's disgusting.

https://www.undercurrentnews.com/202...infringements/
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2020, 10:04 AM

This also from that article you found, Bread.

https://www.undercurrentnews.com/201...shings-damage/
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

22-07-2020, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
This also from that article you found, Bread.

https://www.undercurrentnews.com/201...shings-damage/
Most excellent, SG !

Gibraltar have the right idea

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/13...-agreement-cfp
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2020, 11:09 AM

I love Mackerel Shropshiregirl, although it comes in a can with Olive Oil.....And Smoked Herring (Kippers) are just delightful. Trout is another one of my favourites when we dine out, and Borrowdale Trout (found in the Lake District) is out of this world....But it does contain a lot of bones. There is a Knack to removing them....

While on a cruise last year I tried a different fish every night, from Sea Bass (that I love) to Sea Trout which looks and tastes a lot like Salmon. There were many others but I've forgotten what they were called. I didn't like Skate though....
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

22-07-2020, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I love Mackerel Shropshiregirl, although it comes in a can with Olive Oil.....And Smoked Herring (Kippers) are just delightful. Trout is another one of my favourites when we dine out, and Borrowdale Trout (found in the Lake District) is out of this world....But it does contain a lot of bones. There is a Knack to removing them....

While on a cruise last year I tried a different fish every night, from Sea Bass (that I love) to Sea Trout which looks and tastes a lot like Salmon. There were many others but I've forgotten what they were called. I didn't like Skate though....

If you buy mackerel from the supermarket, you would think that they are a black and silver striped fish ?

Wrong - the really fresh ones have a green tinge to the black and these are the ones to go for. The green fades with age so the greener, the fresher
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

22-07-2020, 12:02 PM

Thanks for that tip Bread. We have a great Wet Fish Shop here, but once again, for me it is usually Cod, Haddock, Smoked Haddock, Hake or Prawns. (have never liked Salmon)
I'm so predictable!

Mind you, who knows? once we have full control of our waters, we may well become more dependent on having to consume more of our own fish stocks, prices may well plummet, we British may also become more adventurous and start eating more variety of our stock of the many species available to us.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

22-07-2020, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Thanks for that tip Bread. We have a great Wet Fish Shop here, but once again, for me it is usually Cod, Haddock, Smoked Haddock, Hake or Prawns. (have never liked Salmon)
I'm so predictable!

Mind you, who knows? once we have full control of our waters, we may well become more dependent on having to consume more of our own fish stocks, prices may well plummet, we British may also become more adventurous and start eating more variety of our stock of the many species available to us.
We can also go and catch our own fresh fish for free, buy buying a rod and line and catching them from the shore or paying for the superb charter boat services we have to go off-shore into the deeper waters.

The demand for fish will always be there, how we supply that demand will be bound to a conservation policy that supports the sustainability of them - if the price goes up, so be it, cod is already pound per pound more expensive than steak in some supermarkets. Setting aside no-take zones will fill the void where foreign vessels used to plunder our stocks, licensing will bind fishermen to our rules and landing fish in UK ports with compulsory GPS for all fishing vessels will ensure they are held to account.

Roll on 2021 and goodbye CFP.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top