Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2020, 12:52 AM

Re: Here Comes Norway ...!

Originally Posted by Bread ->
I'm not sure you understand Solasch.

Parliament vote on bills - the government runs the country. The government is elected and employs the civil service to help run it.

Why is that so difficult to understand ?
You call it voting on bills. It is of course much more. It is also determining policies, and making laws to put them in action. It is making budget available to make it possible. All to be executed by the executive arm of parliament, namely government. And parliaments has oversight in what the executive does.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2020, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
You call it voting on bills. It is of course much more. It is also determining policies, and making laws to put them in action. It is making budget available to make it possible. All to be executed by the executive arm of parliament, namely government. And parliaments has oversight in what the executive does.
Solasch, the other day you were saying we need to elect each member of our civil service because if we don't, according to you, we aren't democratic.

I know how our Parliament and our Government works, Solasch. I don't need you to provide me your googled up Wikipedia versions.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2020, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
I don't know about being silly. That post was downright idiotic if you ask me. Why on earth would anyone want to turn the UK into a banana republic other than Jezza Corbyn (and we saw him off as leader of the Labour Party at the last election)?
Shutting out Parliament from trade deals is terrifying for NHS, food standards and climate
https://www.globaljustice.org.uk/new...s-and-climate#

Parliament loses right to vote on trade deals as Trade Bill amendment is defeated by government
https://www.export.org.uk/news/51822...government.htm
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2020, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Just think about this for a minute ... if we do a fisheries deal with Norway that would result in the whole of the north-eastern side of the Atlantic ocean and the Northern end of the North Sea being cut off from the EU's fishing fleet. If the UK and Norway then enter into a similar agreement with Iceland, boy-oh-boy, the EU's fishing fleets would be dead in the water because they would have almost nowhere in the northern Atlantic (apart from in and around the RoI's waters) to fish.
What an excellent idea. I'd go for that and I'd certainly trust the Norwegians before the EU.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2020, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Just out of curiosity Solasch, and this is not meant in a flippant or jocular way in any sense...

it seems fish caught in the English Channel belong to the EU, but any humans caught belong to the UK?

The EU cherry picking again?
Surely this is a joke, or is a real demand from Barmy?

Our territorial waters in the Channel extend to a point halfway between British land and French land.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2020, 04:30 PM

*** Off topic posts removed.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

31-07-2020, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Surely this is a joke, or is a real demand from Barmy?
You haven’t got a clue have you? 24,000 people work in your minuscule fishing industry and yet you want to risk many, many more in other industries to pander to brexiteer fantasies. Meanwhile arts and culture pay nearly £11bn into the british economy with the performing arts on its own alone employing 286,000 people is being ignored by your government. Buy yourself both a sense of proportion and perspective before it’s too late.

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top