Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2020, 07:11 AM

Blaming the poor

We do blame the poor in many ways .

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...poor-of-course.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2020, 07:25 AM

Re: Blaming the poor

There seems to be a lot of assumptions in the construction of that article.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2020, 07:27 AM

E.g, all the people who crowded beeches and public open spaces did not have gardens??
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2020, 07:48 AM

Yes Spitty believe it or not some people do not have gardens .
New houses today barely have a garden big enough to put up a folding washing line .
Many people live in flats where are they going to go with their children ?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2020, 07:55 AM

I don't think less well off people buy junk food because they want something tasty. They eat it because it makes their stomachs feel full.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

03-08-2020, 07:58 AM

Not just the poor who doesn’t like pizza or fish and chips .
Especially in our usually cold old climate .
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2020, 08:33 AM

More ill-informed speculation from a Guardian writer which does nothing at all to unite the community but helps to spread bad feeling.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

03-08-2020, 08:58 AM

Meg I don’t think the community is united .
There is bad feeling everywhere .
I don’t feel connected to my community in any way .
Possibly because I have lived abroad most of my life .
But possibly because the values I learned as a child are now existent .
Just looked on the local Facebook site and some woman in the small nearby country town is asking for people to keep the noise down at night .
Having young children and the windows open in the heat .
She did it politely and reasonably.
And was met with a storm of abuse !
And told don’t live in a town then !
As if everyone has the choice to live in the country and why should she not be able to sleep without rowdiness are 3.00am

I was brought up in a poor household we didn’t eat that well like most Fifties children . Bread and jam were staples yet we were all skinny !
Of course we had no computers and walked everywhere or used public transport .
I don’t remember much community in those days either .
We were not people who were social kept ourselves to ourselves .
Come to think of it I don’t really know what a united community is .
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2020, 09:45 AM

By the very nature of the pyramid system we live in, there will always be a higher proportion of "poor" people, ergo there will be a higher number of problems to be associated with them, ergo they are in the most prevalent position to be blamed.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2020, 09:47 AM

I think he's right about the government making the public think that all the world's ills are our fault and blaming ourselves. It's a good way to let people police themselves and tell tales on your neighbour through social media. No wonder there is no harmony in communities. You are an outcast in society if you don't tow the line, even though it's supposed to be a free country, and it should be up to you if you want to take risks.

But he's got some balls blaming the government when it's mostly people like him and the media that create most of the troubles in society today with their interpretation and manipulation of what the government is trying to say.

But we live in a world where there are no accidents, and there must always someone to blame to avoid taking the responsibility for our own actions.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top