Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2020, 05:51 AM

Re: Were We Ever A Member Of The EU ?? Part One.

Quite interesting article but I guess it doesn't matter now.

I talk regularly to two relatives in the UK with diametrically opposing views, one very anti Brexit who thinks it is the stupidiest thing the country has done (apart from trying to maintain the gold standard), the other very pro Brexit and looking toward a new renaissance.

Interestingly neither have expressed the sentiment that the EU has it in for Britain nor inanely gloating about the imminent break up of the EU. They both think the British government totally incompetent at negotiating anything with anybody.

I don't care either way as it won't affect me in the slightest but I wonder if leaving while the pandemic rages is rather unfortunate timing and what effect that, combined with the economic uncertainty next year caused by Brexit, will have on the future wealth and well being of young people, especially my neices and nephews now in their 30s.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2020, 08:03 AM

Hi

I do not believe that the EU has it in for the UK.

We are the ones who wanted to Leave and operate on our own.

The EU are just after their own interests in any possible Trade Agreement, as we are.

Times have also changed since te Referendum.

Free Trade is longer the aim, protectionism is.

Led by the USA under Trump, who is wacking Tariffs on all and sundry to protect American Industry.

He is even doing it to Countries with which he has Free Trade Deals.

He has just done it to Canada, with tariffs on Aluminium.

Covid has also changed things, many countries have released the problems with supply chains and are seeking to bring manufacturing home.

The World Economic Situation has changed and not to our advantage.

Would I still Vote Leave?

Yes I would.

The EU is simply not for me.

It has many positive advantages, but we cannot allow a situation to develop where Merkel takes unilateral decisions to open the Borders and create a Crisis and then expect everyone else to pay for it.

I am being somewhat selfish here.

I have a much reduced lifespan and that is if I behave myself, which I shall not be doing, life is for living.

My daughter can provide for herself, she is highly intelligent and so ruthless she would scare Merkel and Putin.

Guy will have this house to live in or sell as he wishes.

Job done, out we go.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2020, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I do not believe that the EU has it in for the UK.

We are the ones who wanted to Leave and operate on our own.

The EU are just after their own interests in any possible Trade Agreement, as we are.

Times have also changed since te Referendum.

Free Trade is longer the aim, protectionism is.

Led by the USA under Trump, who is wacking Tariffs on all and sundry to protect American Industry.

He is even doing it to Countries with which he has Free Trade Deals.

He has just done it to Canada, with tariffs on Aluminium.

Covid has also changed things, many countries have released the problems with supply chains and are seeking to bring manufacturing home.

The World Economic Situation has changed and not to our advantage.

Would I still Vote Leave?

Yes I would.

The EU is simply not for me.

It has many positive advantages, but we cannot allow a situation to develop where Merkel takes unilateral decisions to open the Borders and create a Crisis and then expect everyone else to pay for it.

I am being somewhat selfish here.

I have a much reduced lifespan and that is if I behave myself, which I shall not be doing, life is for living.

My daughter can provide for herself, she is highly intelligent and so ruthless she would scare Merkel and Putin.

Guy will have this house to live in or sell as he wishes.

Job done, out we go.

Ofcourse the EU has it in for the UK, they want Brexit to be a complete disaster and punish for daring to leave.

Sorry to hear about your health, Swimmy.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2020, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Ofcourse the EU has it in for the UK, they want Brexit to be a complete disaster and punish for daring to leave.

Sorry to hear about your health, Swimmy.
The EU are sure you will punish yourself for chosing to leave. Whatever becomes of you, they don't care. Their care is for members, not outsiders.
They have done economic studies for the effects of the UK becoming an external market. Instead of branding them project fear, they have taken measures to mitigate the effects.
Now they have to weigh the benefits of a fta with UK against the projected effects of those measures. In doing so the benefits for members matter more than 'punishing' the UK.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2020, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
The EU are sure you will punish yourself for chosing to leave. Whatever becomes of you, they don't care. Their care is for members, not outsiders.
They have done economic studies for the effects of the UK becoming an external market. Instead of branding them project fear, they have taken measures to mitigate the effects.
Now they have to weigh the benefits of a fta with UK against the projected effects of those measures. In doing so the benefits for members matter more than 'punishing' the UK.

The EU need tarrif free and quota free access to our single market. If we buy from elsewhere, the EU is shafted,big style thats why they also need to tied to their rules to stop us being in a more competitive position than all the 27.

As for fish, the 27 are no longer self sufficient as they are tied into quotas from Norway.

Dream on Solasch you haven't learned anything in the last 2 weeks I've been ignoring you.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2020, 03:29 PM

The EU need tarrif free and quota free access to our single market. If we buy from elsewhere, the EU is shafted,big style thats why they also need to tied to their rules to stop us being in a more competitive position than all the 27.

As for fish, the 27 are no longer self sufficient as they are tied into quotas from Norway.

Dream on Solasch you haven't learned anything in the last 2 weeks I've been ignoring you.
Pray tell me, why are you waiting with buying outside the EU? If it's so advantageous, why not buy now? Are you so full of love for the EU you keeping buying here?
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

09-08-2020, 03:35 PM

Pray tell me, why are you waiting with buying outside the EU? If it's so advantageous, why not buy now? Are you so full of love for the EU you keeping buying here?

We already are.

Look at our trade with the EU over the past say 5 years and then next year we will have much more favourable trading terms with other countries than the EU.

Thats why your in a complete panic because we won't ever be held back by the EU single market rules again.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

09-08-2020, 03:54 PM

We already are.

Look at our trade with the EU over the past say 5 years and then next year we will have much more favourable trading terms with other countries than the EU.

Thats why your in a complete panic because we won't ever be held back by the EU single market rules again.
Well, if you are right, we will have to look for new shores to sell our goods, just as you have to find new markets where to buy.
But, like you pointed out earlier, the UK can always trade among it's members, where will you go?
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

09-08-2020, 04:02 PM

Well, if you are right, we will have to look for new shores to sell our goods, just as you have to find new markets where to buy.
But, like you pointed out earlier, the UK can always trade among it's members, where will you go?
We already trade more with the rest of the world. The EU is only about 15% of the world's economy.

A lot if the EU businesses are moving here anyway so I suppose the question you should be asking is "what will the EU be left with". The UK already trades with just about every country in the world ... i don't know why you think we need to look for "new shores" it looks like you didn't get the memo
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

09-08-2020, 06:24 PM

We already trade more with the rest of the world. The EU is only about 15% of the world's economy.

A lot if the EU businesses are moving here anyway so I suppose the question you should be asking is "what will the EU be left with". The UK already trades with just about every country in the world ... i don't know why you think we need to look for "new shores" it looks like you didn't get the memo
You don't happen to be ian duncan smith is disguise? Your reasoning is so much like his, you could be him.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top