Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2013, 11:12 AM

Re: Coming out the EU.

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
But people get paid more in The Smoke than they do, say, in the NE or Scotland.

Not necessarily Karen darlin' but even if they did, the cost of living down here more than makes up for the difference. Houses (and flats) are far more expensive here, transport costs are very expensive - this of course feeds into the cost of food stuffs as none is produced locally and therefore the transport cost is inbuilt into the cost of food per se. Those (like me) on a 'fixed' income fair less well than those living in the north where cost of living is that much cheaper.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2013, 11:17 AM

People in the north do get paid less Uncle Joe and, from what I've heard on tv, your benefits are higher to reflect the cost of living in the South; it's one of the reasons the North complains about having to pay the same amount of tax as those in the South when the South benefits more from it - to a point, I can understand their angst about that.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2013, 01:13 PM

National minimum wage is the same all over so no we don't get more benefits etc only more housing benefit to reflect our rents are higher.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2013, 02:10 PM

Can you explain this, latest figures show more folks found work in Yorkshire, but the unemployment figure went up by 9.000.
Is it because those in the South are commuting to come up for work?
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2013, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
Can you explain this, latest figures show more folks found work in Yorkshire, but the unemployment figure went up by 9.000.
School leavers joining the unemployed.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2013, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
People in the north do get paid less Uncle Joe and, from what I've heard on tv, your benefits are higher to reflect the cost of living in the South; it's one of the reasons the North complains about having to pay the same amount of tax as those in the South when the South benefits more from it - to a point, I can understand their angst about that.

No Karen darlin' - that's total crap. Social security benefits are paid 'nationally', so it makes no difference where you live. The only thing that is paid locally is Housing Benefit, but since that is paid over to the owner of the property, there is no benefit to the claimant. Food and transport costs are far more expensive here in the South so, as I said earlier we come off far worse than those living in the North.
tomcat
Bristol uk
tomcat is male  tomcat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2013, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
Could be due to the rapidly expanding population due to immigration and school leavers ..immigrants coming into the country in 1995 with large family's and Liebours open door policy are now old enough to join the dole..
went for a walk today in a local green space .and there must have been 60/70 Somali type kids and one blonde white kid .I just thought here is the future of this country ..
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

21-05-2013, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
No Karen darlin' - that's total crap. Social security benefits are paid 'nationally', so it makes no difference where you live. The only thing that is paid locally is Housing Benefit, but since that is paid over to the owner of the property, there is no benefit to the claimant. Food and transport costs are far more expensive here in the South so, as I said earlier we come off far worse than those living in the North.
then go and live in the North and stop complaining - I hear the snow drifts are mangnificent
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

21-05-2013, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by tomcat ->
Could be due to the rapidly expanding population due to immigration and school leavers ..immigrants coming into the country in 1995 with large family's and Liebours open door policy are now old enough to join the dole..
went for a walk today in a local green space .and there must have been 60/70 Somali type kids and one blonde white kid .I just thought here is the future of this country ..
England decided its future when it went on its rampage and pillage and stole whole countries around the world ; called euphemistically 'colonization' - something has come home to roost!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2013, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by tomcat ->
Somalis are going outnumber blondes 60 to 1? in your dreams.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top