Join for free
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2013, 05:24 PM

equity release

Anyone out their experience of EQUITY RELEASE.
Our house is nearly paid off & we want to help our 3 kids get on the housing market. THey are all renting atmo.

We inherited a pile from our parents and we want to pass it on now so we can give them a boost.

WE are quite happy to downsize, any bright ideas.?
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2013, 05:48 PM

Re: equity release

It's a lovely idea to want to help your children Robert and we helped both our children to get onto the housing ladder and I have no regrets, although it was a while ago now.
I am not sure if you are asking about equity release schemes or just downsizing and releasing some cash from your house so you can help your children. If you are talking about equity release schemes, I would say be very, very careful. Personally unless I was really desperate or very elderly with no children or spouse to think of I would not touch equity release schemes. There are so many things to take into consideration with the schemes equity release companies offer and you need the advice of an independent professional if you are even thinking of going down this road. My advice would be definitely don't do it unless there is no other option.
It is a lot easier to simply sell your house outright and then clear your mortgage, so that you are free to buy a smaller, less expensive house for yourselves mortgage free. Depending on your circumstances this should leave you with some free capital so you can help your children. Doing it this way is without restrictions, apart from something called the 7 year giving rule. This means that if you and your wife give away money one of you will have to survive for 7 years from the gift being given to avoid tax being payable on the gift. I assume you will have made a Will and if everything is in joint names with your wife it should be OK to do this - but go and see an independent financial advisor and then a solicitor to make sure there are no complications, because everybody's circumstances are different.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2013, 05:59 PM

If you are considering Equity Release - check with 'Age Concern' first...
Might be better for you to downsize anyway, something more manageable...
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2013, 06:08 PM

Equity release schemes enable you to keep your house not sell it, stay away Bobby Boy, sell your house buy smaller and then sort out what you can and cannot afford to do Take care kind thoughts cost money, agree get financial advice.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2013, 07:55 PM

THank you all for advice.
I will abandon this idea.
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2013, 11:40 PM

Best idea Bobby Boy, kind thought and I'm sure you'll find a way to do it.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top