Join for free
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2013, 10:03 AM

Blanket Tripped You Up? £16,000 Please ...

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/police-comp...5.html#Fotp8Mp

What do you think? Fair or compensation culture?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2013, 10:48 AM

Re: Blanket Tripped You Up? £16,000 Please ...

Very much depends on the circumstances I claimed and got over £4000 a few years ago, I was only one who turned up out of a staff of 6 rang my boss who sent his dozy brother to help me, half way through the evening I ran into the kitchen on the second floor to start doing the washing up and found dozy had washed the floor but left no sign - I slipped broke my wrist and twisted my elbow and shoulder.

Still to this day my shoulder hurts everyday.

What sort of idiot washes a floor before the washing up has been done, or kitchen cleaned was my first thought, it was later I decided to claim, after they cut my wages for the evening it happened and refused to pay me for the time I had to take off, oh and took the price of the taxi that took me to A&E out of my wages too.

So I would want to know about each incident before making any judgement.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2013, 11:17 AM

I think you're right Julie, each case on it's merits.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2013, 09:21 PM

I have a postman friend. About 6 months ago a dog surprised him - as they do - and when attempting to move out of the way his leg gave way. Sounds funny and not really that serious as he wasn't bitten but he had snapped the patella tendon. Weird and awful injury really as the tendon goes over the front of the knee cap. 6 months on and only now is he able to walk a little but his leg still can't bend that far. It is unlikely he will ever get full use of it back either.

I will add one more thing in that the post manager insisted he make his way up some stairs to sign some forms before he would drive him to hospital as he had taken him back to the offices first. Nice of him eh.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2013, 09:48 PM

I know some employers do take the biscuit for stupidity don't they. As I say I would never have sued if they had been fair with me but they just had no idea of fair.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2013, 10:17 PM

Where there's blame, there's a claim.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2013, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Where there's blame, there's a claim.
If there is blame then people should be recompensed. What I hate is the compensation culture that has replaced people having an accident which isn't always someone's fault; things happen but now people want to be paid for it when it happens to them

If someone told me they'd tripped over blankets (by definition they're unlikely to have been handkerchief sizeed) they'd have been told to be more careful and look where they're going.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top