Join for free
Page 16 of 18 « First < 6 14 15 16 17 18 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2018, 11:27 PM

Re: What’s New in Windows 10’s October 2018 Update

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
No I don't think it was Mart.........
Could it be that 'The Edge' is in conflict with google Chrome?
I keep getting pop ups proclaiming the benefit of 'The Edge' over Chrome.....Speed and the like.....

I even had this new computer working online in the summer house this afternoon..... So it doesn't look like a range problem....
Sorry if this has already been discussed, but have you made Chrome your default browser?
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2018, 11:35 PM

I'm not sure if being too fastidious in disabling this or that could cause the present problem but if the computer worked OK to start with ..well possibly.

My own computer is pretty much how a clean installation of Windows 10 comes out of the box but I allow all updates. The only parts changed that aren't standard are the Registry files that altered the behaviour of the search. Everything else has been turned off using the switches Microsoft provides in the user interface.

Although not used much, Edge has been left working but set up with a different search engine and home page. The only other change made to the system is using Bitdefender instead of Windows Defender. The computer is working very well but I have to say it is on a wired Internet connection.

However, Mrs Mart's Surface Pro (running Windows 10 with all updates) is set up similarly and it is working well on wi-fi.

Edit: It would be good to try another browser just for elimination purposes. I've got Firefox, Chrome and Edge installed and working to have a look at.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2018, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Sorry if this has already been discussed, but have you made Chrome your default browser?
Yes indeedy JB, I like Chrome, I used to use IE until there was some things I couldn't do anymore without upgrading to the next edition, so I downloaded Chrome and have loved it ever since.....

Originally Posted by mart ->
I'm not sure if being too fastidious in disabling this or that could cause the present problem but if the computer worked OK to start with ..well possibly.

My own computer is pretty much how a clean installation of Windows 10 comes out of the box but I allow all updates. The only parts changed that aren't standard are the Registry files that altered the behaviour of the search. Everything else has been turned off using the switches Microsoft provides in the user interface.

Although not used much, Edge has been left working but set up with a different search engine and home page. The only other change made to the system is using Bitdefender instead of Windows Defender. The computer is working very well but I have to say it is on a wired Internet connection.

However, Mrs Mart's Surface Pro (running Windows 10 with all updates) is set up similarly and it is working well on wi-fi.

Edit: It would be good to try another browser just for elimination purposes. I've got Firefox, Chrome and Edge installed and working to have a look at.
Thanks Mart, I've only deleted stuff that I know I will never use, games mainly. All the rest I've just disabled. The computer works perfectly well when wired, and only seems to be troublesome in certain locations. At a push I can live with it, and it's unlikely that I would download a different browser, Chrome is definitely my prefered browser....I could end up with with five hundred quids worth of scrap if I mess too much....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2018, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I'm having to write this on my old computer because every time I visit the forum and write a piece on my new computer (with windows 10) it drops offline and I lose everything I've just written.

My other computers are unaffected, which suggests it's the computer and not BT's router. It's getting so frustrating that I resorted to writing posts in word and copy and pasting them into the forum, but every time I click on on an action in the forum, down goes the internet.

In desperation I've returned to posting on this old netbook running windows 7 where there are no problems whatsoever......HELP!
I've just come across this aricle while browsing:

Fix Windows 10 WiFi Intermittent Disconnects Problem

https://www.webnots.com/fix-wifi-con...in-windows-10/

It's worth reading through first, though, before trying any of the solutions, since some may not apply to you.

OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2018, 09:56 PM

Thanks Omah, I knew it was something to do with windows 10....I will digest the information you've found and report back....Thank again.....
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2018, 10:12 PM

I sometimes get this problem on this win10 laptop, especially if I wake it from sleep. It connects fine to the router but with the "internet not available" error. I'm pretty sure it's an issue with the wifi card driver (Broadcom) but there is no update available. It was ok on win7.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

15-12-2018, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
I sometimes get this problem on this win10 laptop, especially if I wake it from sleep. It connects fine to the router but with the "internet not available" error. I'm pretty sure it's an issue with the wifi card driver (Broadcom) but there is no update available. It was ok on win7.
I've followed option two on the link Ray. Keeping the adapter power on maximum. See if that helps.....
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2018, 10:41 PM

I'll give it a try.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2018, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
I get that occasionally, but I've always thought it was either the Virgin router or something in the connection outside.

When it does happen, I unplug the router for a couple of minutes (as VM recommends) and the connection miraculously reappears.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

22-12-2018, 11:29 AM

Okay guys! Windows 10 is not the monster I thought it was going to be and in most areas it works just fine, However, visiting this site has presented me with some problems. It sometimes goes very slow, and when posting it hangs for a couple of minutes (time to copy before it disappears) and then disconnects from the internet.

Troubleshooting reveals that the adaptor needs resetting, it's terribly frustrating. So a search of various dark corners and the disabling of various bits of unwanted clutter - Including the energy saving sleeping thingy on the internet - non of which has made a scrap of difference...

So in desperation (before I do a Brucey clean out...Eeek) I turned off the firewall......and the problem has melted away before my very eyes...
I don't like running without a 'Firewall' and each time I shut down the computer, microsoft, being the good guys that they are, turn it back on again....Bless...

Any ideas?

Page 16 of 18 « First < 6 14 15 16 17 18 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top