Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2013, 09:33 PM

Bathroom light, help please.

Im after a new bathroom light & just cant find an inexpensive one that's suitable I have no room for anything to hang & don't want the recessed into the ceiling type.. The one I have has a frosted glass 'flying saucer' shaped bowl that sits in a ring but its so dim & I cant go higher on the wattage of the bulb, Ive only a tiny window & get insufficient light in there... anyone got any ideas or seen/got something that might brighten the room up?
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2013, 11:25 PM

Re: Bathroom light, help please.

What if you leave the saucer fixture as is, but add something like this to the wall, perhaps over the sink or mirror if you have space?
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2013, 11:29 PM

Here's another idea too - note the pot lights above the mirror. Changing the bulbs for those can be tricky but I like the look. I can't quite figure out the bar-type lights to either side of the mirror.
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2013, 11:35 PM

I hate the light ive got!!! dont like those eyeball ones either & am not spending money on wall ones to be fitted as ive just decorated! I just want a safe ceiling one thhats quite plain but bright
Michael
Near London,UK
Michael is male  Michael has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2013, 11:14 AM

Your type of light may have two bulbs and you can use two 60W bulbs
If it has only one - use a 100W bulb

If you are going to change it a fluorescent light might be best but make sure it is suitable for bathroom installation.

If you get an electrician to install a new fixture.

It will have to conform to regulations.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2013, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Cassie ->
Im after a new bathroom light & just cant find an inexpensive one that's suitable I have no room for anything to hang & don't want the recessed into the ceiling type.. The one I have has a frosted glass 'flying saucer' shaped bowl that sits in a ring but its so dim & I cant go higher on the wattage of the bulb, Ive only a tiny window & get insufficient light in there... anyone got any ideas or seen/got something that might brighten the room up?
One thing you can try is to do a mirror mosaic on the ceiling around the light. If you can get discarded mirrors and carefully break them into pieces yourself, so much the better - that will increase the amount of light from the bulbs. Hang mirrors opposite the window to reflect any light from that back into the room. Downlighters would be the obvious choice but if expense prohibits that and you have no room for wall-mounted lights, that's the best I can come up with.
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2013, 01:07 PM

You can get bright spot lights on a bar , so they can be moved around to point where you want them.... will go look for a pic
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2013, 01:09 PM

http://www.wickes.co.uk/bullet-4-bar...t/invt/187032/

spot lights on bars so you can point the light where you need it ...
if you scroll down they have different ones
Cassie
West Wales

08-04-2013, 09:45 PM

Thanks all.. It will be a sparky installing whatever I get so no issues there. Im maxed on the wattage of the current bulbs but I dont like the fitment anyway so its not the issue. As for mosaic tiles its not the sort of property that they'd suit.. The bullet bars Nobaggage posted I do like but what are bathroom outside zones? My bathroom has no bath just a shower cubicle & goes from being ice cold to steamy ive solved the condensation probs with having the upper part of the window planed a bit so it opens properly & I can leave it open a tiny bit to air the room. Many thanks for the ideas, I know im being fussy but thats just me im afraid!!
Michael
Near London,UK
Michael is male  Michael has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2013, 10:33 AM

From your description it looks like you will require a sealed light fitting

Without an extractor fan any exposed bulbs will attract moisture and that will fuse the bulbs.

The bathroom zones refer to where you can install electrical fittings.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top