Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2013, 04:36 PM

Re: Nando

Im sorry I forgot id posted on here!!
Imprinting is rearing him myself so he thinks im his mum and he has no fear of humans. All owls that are to be flown by people have to be imprinted or they'd be far to wild and aggressive to handle. Imprinting is generally reserved for falcon breeding and some eagles and a few breeds of hawk but thats done so breeders can artificially inseminate as the human then acts as the sexual partner.

New pic..

[/URL]
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2013, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Here is a bit of information on what imprinting is:-

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/episo...printing/7367/

I realise that if Cassie is to be successful with imprinting Nando, it has to be done when he is very young - and the owl does appear to be very young from the photographs. I would be interested to know what Cassie intends to do with Nando and where she got him from. I must confess I have have mixed feelings and reservations about taking what is essentially a wild creature, imprinting it and keeping it in captivity. Whether captive born or not a barn owl is not a domesticated creature, and it is unlikely Nando will ever be able to live and cope in the wild, I don't think barn owls are normally used for the same purpose that the falcons and other raptors often are used for either. Maybe he will be used for educational purposes.
He will be a display bird He'll live a long life and be fed good quality food that he'd be often hard pushed to get in the wild as our hedgerows are vanishing sadly. So as much as I agree in keeping wild animals in the wild we unfortunately dont always have enough natural habitat to sustain them He will go to schools and old peoples homes too and allow a lot of people the chance to see birds of prey closely. Barn owls are great with children as they are lightweight and he'll be non aggressive.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2013, 02:22 PM

oh he is lovely.... but let him be free Cassie when he is ready.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2013, 04:02 PM

The shame is that Nando will never be free Annie. He has been captive bred and is being reared in captivity and imprinted on humans, so will be living an artificial life. It is actually illegal to set him free - he would not survive in the wild. Because they cannot be set free, IMO keeping birds like owls in this way has little to do with conservation in the wild and nothing to do with preservation of the wild habitat for the barn owl. As I understand it there are many owls who have to live this way, so many that the captive bred owls are becoming a separate population from the wild owls and, therefore a different type of bird to the wild ones.

See here for further information

http://www.barnowltrust.org.uk/conte...Britain_25.pdf

http://www.barnowltrust.org.uk/conte...arn_Owl_30.pdf
Cassie
West Wales

03-07-2013, 04:43 PM

I'll let the 'experts' continue answering on my behalf... Anyone truely interested in Nando please pm & i'll gladly keep you informed of his welfare & care
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2013, 10:15 AM

I apologise for answering on your behalf Cassie. Contrary to what you post, I am not an expert and would not want folks to think I am, but I do have reasonably comprehensive knowledge and understanding. Although I am not comfortable with what you are doing, I am truly interested in Nando's progress and welfare. If I am incorrect in what I have posted please let us all know. Why hide this topic away with private messaging - you posted on an open forum and I because of this I believed you were inviting comments and opinions - not just admiration.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2013, 10:30 AM

A wee Beauty...
Silver Jill
Earth
Silver Jill is female  Silver Jill has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2013, 09:27 AM

Hi everyone ~ I haven't been here for about a year until today. Thank you ever so much Cassie for your lovely pics of the beautiful Nando, and I am going to send you a pm as I am very interested in your work with him. Wishing you lots of happy times with Nando and he will obviously be happy with you too as you are a very experienced animal lover

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top