Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2018, 10:42 AM

Old friends and different paths in life

This weekend I met up with an old friend who lives not too far away from me but whom I haven't seen for twenty years. We are of a similar age in our early fifties.
We met during our time in the RAF on two separate posting and were always best of mates. We have had a great weekend reminiscing about old times and will meet up again quite soon I'm sure.

He left the RAF in 1997 after his 12 year enlistment and landed a very well paid job working as a technical expert offshore, whereas I stayed in until 2000 after being recently married and carried on until my 12-year point then leaving to settle back down where I was brought up in Hull, also where my wife was from.

Since then, my friend has become a leading figure in the freight forwarding business in the UK, given lectures and organising all kinds of high level activity with that field of work.

I have been in the same job with the past 12 years working nights to try to pay off a massive consolidation loan - to be settled soon.

My friend lives alone in a small house all paid for. he has no particular friends who he associates with, has never married and has little in the way of family. But he seems content enough.

I married a lovely lady who has a huge family. I now have two stepdaughters, two grandkids, many friends and a good social life at weekends.

It goes to show that money isn't the be all and end all in life.

Do you know someone you grew up or worked with years ago whose lifestyle is quite a lot different from your own?

And what is the priority for you? Having plenty of money but being alone, or getting by with just enough but enjoying a nice family and social life?
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2018, 10:53 AM

Re: Old friends and different paths in life

Very few of my past friends are still together due to our having very stressful lives which impacted one way or another on our marriages.

If I had followed advice and remarried as friends (now divorced) wanted me too, I very much doubt if I would be living my peaceful, contented life.

We all want that whether rich or poor..and be assured having money helps with the peaceful bit.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2018, 11:08 AM

I'm glad you enjoyed your 'catch up' with an old friend Floydy but I don't think you can pigeon hole people with money, or people who have little. I know a few wealthy people who are as happy as Larry, with loads of friends. On the other hand there are a few people living in this area who spend a lot of time alone and ignored by family and friends.

Personally I don't see many friends these days, some have passed away, and some have moved away. Retirement rapidly diminishes one's friends list, and I'm quite happy spending time with Mrs Fox (not all the time though) and small family (one daughter, Son in Law...recent acquisition, and two granddaughters) who visit often.

We spend most of our social time out with our neighbours who moved here eight years ago, since then we have done lots of stuff together and enjoy their company. And as it happens....I'm just off to get ready to collect them and take them for Sunday lunch...
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2018, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by solo ->
Very few of my past friends are still together due to our having very stressful lives which impacted one way or another on our marriages.

If I had followed advice and remarried as friends (now divorced) wanted me too, I very much doubt if I would be living my peaceful, contented life.

We all want that whether rich or poor..and be assured having money helps with the peaceful bit.
It sure does solo.....
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2018, 11:37 AM

My ex husband used to say, in life, a lot depended on who you rubbed shoulders with.

Edited to add.... Especially if you went to a public school.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2018, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I'm glad you enjoyed your 'catch up' with an old friend Floydy but I don't think you can pigeon hole people with money, or people who have little. I know a few wealthy people who are as happy as Larry, with loads of friends. On the other hand there are a few people living in this area who spend a lot of time alone and ignored by family and friends.

Personally I don't see many friends these days, some have passed away, and some have moved away. Retirement rapidly diminishes one's friends list, and I'm quite happy spending time with Mrs Fox (not all the time though) and small family (one daughter, Son in Law...recent acquisition, and two granddaughters) who visit often.

We spend most of our social time out with our neighbours who moved here eight years ago, since then we have done lots of stuff together and enjoy their company. And as it happens....I'm just off to get ready to collect them and take them for Sunday lunch...
I think this is the way I'm heading, Bob. It's definitely an age thing.I'm tiring of doing the same old thing and I think I'll be alternating between going out for a pint with my mates and getting to spend more time with my grandkids if they want an oldie tagging along with them.
It's very weird being in my early fifties. My wife and mates are all in their sixties, my stepdaughters in their thirties. I'm a displaced person!

Enjoy your Sunday lunch, buddy
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

26-08-2018, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
My ex husband used to say, in life, a lot depended on who you rubbed shoulders with.
My dad used to say the same. We find our own friends just by chance sometimes. Hitting it off instantly with some but taking longer to get to know others.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2018, 11:49 AM

My husband and I have very few actual friends, they are people we have known for a very long time. We have our family that is enough for us.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2018, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
I think this is the way I'm heading, Bob. It's definitely an age thing.I'm tiring of doing the same old thing and I think I'll be alternating between going out for a pint with my mates and getting to spend more time with my grandkids if they want an oldie tagging along with them.
It's very weird being in my early fifties. My wife and mates are all in their sixties, my stepdaughters in their thirties. I'm a displaced person!

Enjoy your Sunday lunch, buddy
We will make a gardener out of you yet Floydy. I reckon this time next year, you will be pottering around in the greenhouse.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2018, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
We will make a gardener out of you yet Floydy. I reckon this time next year, you will be pottering around in the greenhouse.
Longy, He could get some hens too!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top