Join for free
Chardon-B
France
Chardon-B is female 

09-03-2020, 09:19 AM

Suffragette

Yesterday was International Women's Day, Film 4 had the film "Suffragette" on last night as a nod to the day.
I had not seen it before but was a good watch for a wet Sunday evening obviously with great meaning. At the end of the film they ran a list of the dates different countries gave women the vote. The one that shocked me most was Switzerland only allowed women to vote in 1971 !!
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2020, 09:36 AM

Re: Suffragette

Wow I didn't know that either ....1971!!!
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2020, 09:55 AM

I remember being surprised too .

I found it interesting in reading about Emily Davidson who died under the kings horse . She was trying to throw the flag or sash onto the horse wasnt she . Very sad

These women were brave and strong .
What they suffered at the hands of government and police was awful.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2020, 10:59 AM

Those bloody Kiwis beat us to it by giving women the vote in 1893. SA was the first state to give women the vote in 1894 I think was - it seems incredible that a colony had universal suffrage before the "mother country" but there you go.

Once Australia became a Federation the Australian Government passed legislation in 1902 giving everyone over 21 the vote (I don't think all men in the UK had the vote at that time).
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2020, 11:10 AM

An excellent film.
Chardon-B
France
Chardon-B is female 

09-03-2020, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Those bloody Kiwis beat us to it by giving women the vote in 1893. SA was the first state to give women the vote in 1894 I think was - it seems incredible that a colony had universal suffrage before the "mother country" but there you go.

Once Australia became a Federation the Australian Government passed legislation in 1902 giving everyone over 21 the vote (I don't think all men in the UK had the vote at that time).
Yes, amazing but great...
Chardon-B
France
Chardon-B is female 

09-03-2020, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
I remember being surprised too .

I found it interesting in reading about Emily Davidson who died under the kings horse . She was trying to throw the flag or sash onto the horse wasnt she . Very sad

These women were brave and strong .
What they suffered at the hands of government and police was awful.
All of us must try to remember never to waste our vote...what they did and sacrificed for us and the future generations was/is amazing. Of course like all valuable fights there are great losses.
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2020, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
SA probably looked on their Facebook page and said "Oh that's a good idea! Give all the Sheilas a vote",

Yes I was very surprised at 1971 for Switzerland.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top