Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2020, 09:44 PM

Re: Changes to UK Farming Subsidies as we leave EU!

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Riots locally, farmers being tricked into Voting Brexit.

Not what they were promised.

The backlash begins.
I doubt that many farmers would ever vote Brexit.

Think of the cheap labour, coming in from Europe, and the big market place for their stuff, and the allowances for leaving land fallow.

And they can eat their own products whilst we pay to have ours shipped in!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2020, 09:26 AM

Subsidise farmers? Are you mad? We have just had a bumper winter harvest and you could buy our unsubsidised grain much cheaper than your inefficient mob of no hopers that gave you mad cow disease.

You know it makes sense.

Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2020, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Riots locally, farmers being tricked into Voting Brexit.

Not what they were promised.

The backlash begins.
You have to show us these riots?

Here many farmers are ecstatic that change from the awful, protectionist CAP are after many years at last under way.
I have farming family as well as friends and of those that speak about this there is considerable relief expressed.
In fact both farming and environmental groups have largely welcomed the new plans, aided no doubt by the promise to pay farmers who want to exit farming.

I've said before; you really need to stop paying so much attention to the biased media.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2020, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
You have to show us these riots?

Here many farmers are ecstatic that change from the awful, protectionist CAP are after many years at last under way.
I have farming family as well as friends and of those that speak about this there is considerable relief expressed.
In fact both farming and environmental groups have largely welcomed the new plans, aided no doubt by the promise to pay farmers who want to exit farming.

I've said before; you really need to stop paying so much attention to the biased media.
All my friends who are farmers can't wait to get out the EU. Unless of course they are rich landowners on the EU gravy train, getting free money for laying their land fallow and not doing anything.

If you want riots, go to Paris in a few months when the reality of the CAP kicks in, with the UK leaving the single market and buying products from elsewhere, including fits own domestic farming industry.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2020, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
All my friends who are farmers can't wait to get out the EU. Unless of course they are rich landowners on the EU gravy train, getting free money for laying their land fallow and not doing anything.

If you want riots, go to Paris in a few months when the reality of the CAP kicks in, with the UK leaving the single market and buying products from elsewhere, including fits own domestic farming industry.
A few of my friends are chuffed, saying it will benefit them and their plans for the future that had been so difficult under CAP.

Before this, going organic was a big hurdle but the public are increasingly wanting organic and better-quality more ethical produce of all sorts than supermarket mass-produced stuff - and it's the big guys who generally produce this supermarket stuff that will suffer.

In 2017 the UK had something like 800 livestock megafarms where animals are reared according to rules & regulations BUT it's not an ideal way to raise a cow, or a pig, or a chicken.
No wonder the meat is bland; cheap and bland.
Just one example from many:

https://theflexitarian.co.uk/2019/12...factory-farms/

Dyson won't be pleased, & he owns some huge bits of land here in Lincolnshire which help to make him the UK's biggest farmer.
But there's the royals and huge landowners like the Duke of Buccleuch and the Earl of Lonsdale too that I'm pretty sure will not be pleased.
Shame, eh?

I'm not some liberal snowflake screaming for change, but I do believe that it is important that people know where their food comes from and how it is produced so that they can make an informed choice.

As it stands, people buy (just for example) Red Tractor labelled pork chops from wherever and think that they are buying a more ethically-produced product when in fact they are not.
Such schemes are deliberately misleading, and I for one hope the changes will evolve to include stopping such practices.

I will get down from this perch now.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2020, 12:37 PM

A few of my friends are chuffed, saying it will benefit them and their plans for the future that had been so difficult under CAP.

Before this, going organic was a big hurdle but the public are increasingly wanting organic and better-quality more ethical produce of all sorts than supermarket mass-produced stuff - and it's the big guys who generally produce this supermarket stuff that will suffer.

In 2017 the UK had something like 800 livestock megafarms where animals are reared according to rules & regulations BUT it's not an ideal way to raise a cow, or a pig, or a chicken.
No wonder the meat is bland; cheap and bland.
Just one example from many:

https://theflexitarian.co.uk/2019/12...factory-farms/

Dyson won't be pleased, & he owns some huge bits of land here in Lincolnshire which help to make him the UK's biggest farmer.
But there's the royals and huge landowners like the Duke of Buccleuch and the Earl of Lonsdale too that I'm pretty sure will not be pleased.
Shame, eh?

I'm not some liberal snowflake screaming for change, but I do believe that it is important that people know where their food comes from and how it is produced so that they can make an informed choice.

As it stands, people buy (just for example) Red Tractor labelled pork chops from wherever and think that they are buying a more ethically-produced product when in fact they are not.
Such schemes are deliberately misleading, and I for one hope the changes will evolve to include stopping such practices.

I will get down from this perch now.

UK farming standards already supersede most European ones - we have some of the highest in the world. Look at the Dutch egg issues and the horse meat with Tesco that came from Portugal. Then there is all the processed MRM crap from Germany and water pumped pork products from the Netherlands.

Salami or Chorizo anyone .... ?

We don't give UK farming the credit it deserves, because as usual the remain lobby always protest that we are sh1t at everything and everything is better "over there". Then off they go with their Cathy Kitson bags for life to Waitrose and farm shops buying British without even knowing it or checking the label.
Zaphod
Lincs UK

01-12-2020, 04:20 PM

Since this thread is about UK changes once we are free of CAP, I thought that you might like to see this:
"Anti-EU farming party reaches top spot in Norway poll as elections loom"
https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-no...KBN28B5C6?il=0

Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2020, 04:35 PM

I live in a rural area and the families all drive around in huge defenders . There is not a poor one among them re organic food i really dont care it’s really isn’t that much better for us and it’s much more expensive
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2020, 05:06 PM

Since this thread is about UK changes once we are free of CAP, I thought that you might like to see this:
"Anti-EU farming party reaches top spot in Norway poll as elections loom"
https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-no...KBN28B5C6?il=0

Seems to be a trend right across europe Zaphod, it seems one size
does NOT fit all after all??

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2020, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I live in a rural area and the families all drive around in huge defenders . There is not a poor one among them re organic food i really dont care it’s really isn’t that much better for us and it’s much more expensive
I think in a lot of cases that is because they have access to
agricultural loans Muddy?
And the landies are actually necassary in their enviroment??
I am talking of the real farmers of course.

Donkeyman! 👍😁👍

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top