Join for free
Page 3 of 56 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 > Last »
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 11:17 AM

Re: Flu jab 2018 booked

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Rather than use Deylon's thread which is mainly concerns her illness and having a flu jab or not, I thought it best to start a general new thread.

We received our flu jab letters this morning and are booked in to have them on 29th September.
Mags as the OP of this thread could you give people some clue as to the reason for the thread and what you specifically were wanting people to discuss please?

You start by saying it is a "general new thread" and then offer nothing but the statement that you have booked your flu jabs. What is the purpose of the thread please?

Many thanks
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
I can not make up my mind about them, I have had 3 so far and last winter I felt awful choked up for several weeks. Are they worth it or not?
Hi Roxy

As you will doubtless know the flu vaccine has been discussed on the forum numerous times. If you are genuinely seeking to understand the truth about the vaccine, whether they are worth it or not then I strongly encourage you to do your research by reading as much content as you can on various trusted sites on the internet.

By way of aiding your, and anyone else's research, I have already posted up a page of useful links in this thread here:

https://www.over50sforum.com/showthr...t=55706&page=3

It would be worth your while to look at those links

Hope this helps

ATB
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

07-09-2018, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
There are 2 different flu vaccinations available this year the usual one and another for over 65s (and certain other vulnerable groups ).
You can read about it on the NHS website.

Actually there are 3 different types of flu vaccines for the 2018/2019 season. They are:

Adjuvanted trivalent flu vaccine (aTIV) – This is licensed for people aged 65 years and over and is the vaccine recommended by the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisations (JCVI) for this age group.

Quadrivalent vaccine (QIV) – This is recommended for children aged from 6 months to 2 years and in adults from 18 years to less than 65 years of age who are at increased risk from flu because of a long term health condition.

Live attenuated influenza vaccine (LAIV) – This is a nasal spray and is licensed for children and young people from 2 years old to less than 18 years of age. The age groups targeted in England for this vaccine in 2018/19 are two and three year olds (through their GP surgery) and school aged children in reception class through to Year 5 (through schools). If LAIV is clinically contraindicated QIV is used in this age group. Both are procured centrally by PHE and can be ordered via ImmForm.

For the full details you can read the latest Vaccine Update from Public Health England here:

https://assets.publishing.service.go...gust_2018_.pdf

It also lists the SPECIFIC manufacturer's vaccine that will be used this season. There are as follows:

I would urge anyone thinking of having the vaccine to first establish EXACTLY which of those vaccines your GP or clinic wants to give you and then to look up that specific vaccine on the internet to establish:

1. The full list of ingredients
2. The known adverse side effects and serious complications

You should also ask for a copy of the package insert of any vaccine that they offer you so you can read all the facts first.

The website below provides a good explanation of the typical vaccine ingredients which you can check against whatever is in your chosen vaccine.

http://vk.ovg.ox.ac.uk/vaccine-ingredients
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 11:46 AM

My Son & I have flu jabs every year, it's not a problem & we have never had flu since having the jabs. Come to think of it, I don't get colds any more either, though Son does.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

07-09-2018, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
My Son & I have flu jabs every year, it's not a problem & we have never had flu since having the jabs. Come to think of it, I don't get colds any more either, though Son does.
I have never had the flu jab and never had flu. I don't get colds or related viruses any more because I recognise the importance of looking after my immune system and thus eating the right foods, herbs and spices.

The thing is, and this is important, both of our accounts there are entirely anecdotal. The fact that I, as one person, have never had the jab and never had the flu doesn't make any comment at all about the flu jab.

Equally, the fact that you and your son have had the jab and haven't had the flu doesn't make any comment on the vaccine's efficacy.

Our statements are meaningless in the wider debate.

What is needed is real data, real clinical studies, conducted without bias, not funded by the vaccine manufacturers, which tests the vaccine with millions of people to ascertain whether it does what it claims to do.

Thankfully for us all, such studies HAVE been done and the results aren't good, shocking in fact. The data and FACTS can be read in the link I provided in my early post. Worth a read.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 01:15 PM

No point in me putting any of my thoughts in this thread.
I'm orf . .

Realist
Chatterbox
UK

07-09-2018, 01:21 PM

Why? Everyone's thoughts, views, ideas are welcome.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
I can not make up my mind about them, I have had 3 so far and last winter I felt awful choked up for several weeks.
Are they worth it or not?
In my opinion NO.

I had them several years running after my bigC op, and had a constant succession of dreadful upper respiratory viruses.
But I agree this might have been because my immune system was already compromised.
Once I stopped I was fine.

Now I do it my way with a hugely improved immune system and oils of TeaTree and Eucalyptus to reduce any symptoms at the very first signs of a virus.

But we should all be aware that real 'Flu is nothing to do with the Common Cold.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Why oh why do you feel the need to have a flu vaccine thread every year. It's puerile.
................and off he goes again!!...........
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I had the jab last year and was surprised that it was free, even though I am under 60.
For the first time ever I'm reading one of these threads .... Mr M is 68 and never had any notification from the GP. Having said that he wouldn't be bothered anyway.

I thought they were for folk over 70?

Page 3 of 56 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top