Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2019, 12:35 PM

Superstitions!

How do they start? Are they based on fact? What do you think?

One which could be based on fact is the 'not walking under ladders' one. If someone is working up a ladder it makes sense to walk round it rather than under - to avoid having tools etc., being dropped on your head.

But -

A really daft one from childhood - if you see an ambulance - all blues and twos - you must hold your collar until you see a dog! Lots of us arrived at 'assembly' hanging on to the pointy bits of our collars like grim death.

Who on earth thought that one up?

And why is it bad luck to step on the cracks of the pavements?
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2019, 12:43 PM

Re: Superstitions!

oh lol I haven't heard about the collar and dog one before Tabs, made me chuckle hehe

Every time I see a lone magpie I always shout, Good Morning/Afernoon Mr Magpie, I know it's daft but it's just do it, one for sorrow and all that jazz

I'm not superstitious about anything else but when I was a kid I used to avoid cracks in the pavement
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2019, 12:46 PM

Why is green considered unlucky at weddings these days? It was once the symbol of true love and fertility.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2019, 12:52 PM

The ladder thing is rooted in breaking the Trinity.

You know, Big G, JC, and Old Spooky.

Touching wood is based on pleading to The Oak, the representation of Zeus on Earth.

Touching cloth has an entirely different meaning and has close association with Chronos, the personification of time -----

Other superstitious are often based on The Old Religions.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2019, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
The ladder thing is rooted in breaking the Trinity.

You know, Big G, JC, and Old Spooky.

Touching wood is based on pleading to The Oak, the representation of Zeus on Earth.

Touching cloth has an entirely different meaning and has close association with Chronos, the personification of time -----

Other superstitious are often based on The Old Religions.
What about mapgie one Todge
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2019, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
What about mapgie one Todge
Nice enough when young but not a lot of meat on one. You really need a brace to get a decent nosh.

Hence one for sorrow (still hungry) two for joy (well fed).

Sorted.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2019, 01:15 PM

Its all down to perception distortion and cognitive bias. We put together 2 plus 2 to make 5. We ignore it when it adds up to 4.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

18-06-2019, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Its all down to perception distortion and cognitive bias. We put together 2 plus 2 to make 5. We ignore it when it adds up to 4.

So where does that leave religion?

After all religions are all rooted in superstition.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2019, 02:40 PM

Perhaps you should start a separate thread on that TAT rather than skew this towards yet another religious debate?
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

18-06-2019, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Perhaps you should start a separate thread on that TAT rather than skew this towards yet another religious debate?
But religion and superstition are inseparable. Two sides of the same coin.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top