Join for free
Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2019, 09:48 PM

Re: Dig Down into Immigrants and our/their Luck!

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
We, and I include my ancestors faced no end of hardships but we WORKED into a better world. We evolved skills and ethics to improve our world.

Let those facing difficulty do the same. Just leave the to evolve or dissolve. It's nature's way, it's worked very well for us, we do them no favours in getting in the way of their evolution.

I've been told that I'm a nasty bastard - and worse, well so what.

Nature doesn't reward those that don't win. There's no second prize.
That's it right there: work. There is no more abundant, free, or available resource in the world. We should always support those striving for it.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2019, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
That's it right there: work. There is no more abundant, free, or available resource in the world. We should always support those striving for it.
No. Look after ourselves, let others look after themselves. I don't buy this brothers keeper crap unless it IS my brother or IS my sister.

This may jar on some people's principles but it's far more common than the "everything can be nice" mindset. It's a day eat dog world. Live with it. It's served me well.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2019, 10:49 PM

Its all about graft, and keeping your nose clean, if you do both, and it goes tits up. then its someone else's fault.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2019, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
In one of my Old Fogey thinking moments, having listened to the news of the boy, and his child, drowning in one more attempt to get into America, it occurred to me how lucky some of us are compared with others.

If, for example, you are born in the UK you get an amazing list of benefits (to winge about) which range from good employment, through excellent medical service, to good policing and military protection.

Thus, although we don't always know it, we are very lucky.

Others, out there in the world, also have the luck of the draw when they are born, into Africa, the Middle East, wherever.

Some are very unlucky indeed as starvation, poor medication, poor education, etc., are the available options.

With our NIMBY thinking, we want to stop them coming our way.

I understand that.

What I don't understand is that the media, and our Governments, never, really, seem to dig into why those Countries get into, and remain in, such bad situations.

What should we do?

Should we continue to moan about all of those migrating towards a better life or should we, as a country, be demanding better management of those Countries, out there.

The Charities are, obviously trying to do what they can.

But, how much do our countries attempt to get it right.

I know that some will say that we put lots of money out towards those countries - but I'm very suspicious that that is really only kicking the can up the line. I also think that most of it goes to those who don't help.

How about a World Organisation that has power to jail those leaders who wreck their Countries?

We've all seen lots of those!

Just a thought/rant.
The simple answer is that we cannot feed the world.

Whether we are talking about inviting in immigrants or sending money to third-world countries, the problem is that that more money we give to people other than ourselves, the less money we have for ourselves.

According to reports, we are already suffering from shortages of healthcare, housing, etc. What is to be gained by giving up our benefits to others? The end result is that the more we give away, the less we have ourselves.

Of course, those Brits lucky enough to be in protected positions - politicians, royalty, millionaires, etc. - have no such worries. If the country as a whole loses money they will certainly be immune to any problems as they have more than enough for their needs.

The real sting in my tale is that the more we give away and the less money we retain, the less we shall be able to give to others. Taken to its logical eventual conclusion, we shall be the ones hoping for support from richer countries!
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2019, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
The simple answer is that we cannot feed the world.
The real sting in my tale is that the more we give away and the less money we retain, the less we shall be able to give to others. Taken to its logical eventual conclusion, we shall be the ones hoping for support from richer countries!
In 1957 a clever englishman named churchil came up with a solution to your problem. It's called the european union, and you are part of it.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2019, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by solasch ->
in 1957 a clever englishman named churchil came up with a solution to your problem. It's called the european union, and you are part of it.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2019, 04:31 AM

You two need to meet .
Then you can sneer together happily ever after.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2019, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
No. Look after ourselves, let others look after themselves. I don't buy this brothers keeper crap unless it IS my brother or IS my sister.

This may jar on some people's principles but it's far more common than the "everything can be nice" mindset. It's a day eat dog world. Live with it. It's served me well.
Hi

Some are unfortunate in that they cannot work.

These I have no issue with.

Survival of the fittest is Anarchy.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2019, 07:02 AM

historically, as a small nation, we have spread our wings before, that was of its time probably.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2019, 07:23 AM

There are 2 reasons for the decline in human lifestyles & I am afraid that survival of the fittest is the only answer.

1) There are too many humans on this planet, yet we try to keep seriously sick people alive , when without medical intervention they would die. We try to help people, who can't have babies, to achieve their aim but that also interferes with balance of nature!
None of us want to die, but we will all die eventually, so why waste resources on those who are not able to let our species evolve naturally and eventually burden the fitter people with caring for those who would have died without medical intervention.
If people have a religion, then they believe that there is a life after death... so if they really believe why do they worry about death?

2) We have become so lazy that we want a life of pleasure with as little work as possible....so we create machines to do jobs that we used to do ourselves. Computers make life easier, but we forget that they also bring new people into our lives. When something bad happens to them, don't we feel sorry for them too & want to help? That brings more sadness, or in the case of bad people, somebody who wants to con us into sending money to help them.

In the days where we lived in smaller communities & knew everybody, life was easier because that community mourned a death, celebrated a birth & would work together to make life better for the whole group! We changed that by always wanting more than we needed.....and reversing that attitude will now be impossible!

We made life move too quickly & never gave our bodies the opportunity to evolve, to compensate for changes in this world!

Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top