Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2019, 12:38 PM

Re: A doleful sycophant dirge

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Describes the British national anthem to a tee.

It fails to relate to the British people, and has a distinct swipe at the Scots.
It was also Australia's National Anthem until Bob Hawke changed it in the 1980s to the very slightly less dirge like Advance Australia Fair. Now the Aboriginals have taken objection to the words (quite rightly)

Personally I would love to see I am Australian as our National Anthem. Needs work on some of the verses as it is too long but the chorus is brilliant.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2019, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
How can a horrible caterwauling with sycophantic lyrics represent Britain and the British People?

Seriously, it's awful!
Seriously, I half agree but not wholeheartedly. I can put up with it OK.
Boot
England
Boot is female  Boot has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2019, 01:01 PM

I can’t say I’m that bothered either way because I don’t have to sing it and all the suggested alternatives have lyrics with an underlying “god” theme I couldn’t sing with any conviction either.

I agree that the “God Save the Queen” tune is a bit of a dirge and at least some of the other suggested anthems have a more rousing tune and are more inviting to sing along to.

I’d be content to reserve “God Save The Queen” to being played only when the Monarch was present, which is how it started out.
It was never officially chosen as a National Anthem, it just kind of ended up that way. From stuff I’ve read, Edward VII wasn’t keen on it and preferred “Land of Hope and Glory” as a song of patriotism, whereas George V would have preferred to adopt “Jerusalem” as a National Anthem.
Who knows what The Queen thinks - she never lets on.

I can’t see them dropping the use of “God Save the Queen” now - unless they take the opportunity to drop off its use when Charles takes over.
Perhaps they may shift to playing it at events he is actually attending.
It seems out of place to use it for sporting events - something rousing and uplifting would be more appropriate.

The trouble with making a conscious decision to choose any song as an official National Anthem is that there will be many different strong opinions and you can’t please all of the people. The existing one has just crept into the nation gradually over time and usage.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2019, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Boot ->
I can’t say I’m that bothered either way because I don’t have to sing it and all the suggested alternatives have lyrics with an underlying “god” theme I couldn’t sing with any conviction either.

I agree that the “God Save the Queen” tune is a bit of a dirge and at least some of the other suggested anthems have a more rousing tune and are more inviting to sing along to.

I’d be content to reserve “God Save The Queen” to being played only when the Monarch was present, which is how it started out.
It was never officially chosen as a National Anthem, it just kind of ended up that way. From stuff I’ve read, Edward VII wasn’t keen on it and preferred “Land of Hope and Glory” as a song of patriotism, whereas George V would have preferred to adopt “Jerusalem” as a National Anthem.
Who knows what The Queen thinks - she never lets on.

I can’t see them dropping the use of “God Save the Queen” now - unless they take the opportunity to drop off its use when Charles takes over.
Perhaps they may shift to playing it at events he is actually attending.
It seems out of place to use it for sporting events - something rousing and uplifting would be more appropriate.

The trouble with making a conscious decision to choose any song as an official National Anthem is that there will be many different strong opinions and you can’t please all of the people. The existing one has just crept into the nation gradually over time and usage.
When the Queen pegs off they will insert the King into the
lyrics!

Regards Donkeyman!
Boot
England
Boot is female  Boot has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2019, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
lyrics!

Regards Donkeyman!
Well, yes, I expect they would!
What I meant was that a change of monarch may be better timing to change the tradition of playing this Anthem at every event, rather than changing it now.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2019, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
lyrics!

Regards Donkeyman!
When Mrs Windsor snuffs it the whole rotten bunch should be given the bums rush, put on means tested benefits, and replaced with an elected head of state.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2019, 08:56 PM

No, when Chuck takes over Queen will be replaced with "planet.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2019, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
No, when Chuck takes over Queen will be replaced with "planet.
A Tu B'shevat song would be more appropriate for that idiot.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2019, 10:19 PM

You can't please all the people, all of the time!!!
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2019, 10:21 AM

If we'd stayed in the EU, we would have eventually had that other wonderful dirge to replace it . 'Ode to Joy' ..... that really is a depressing dirge, despite the fact it's become the theme song for world peace and freedom ! (who said that ?)

Such absolute nonsense

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top