Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2019, 11:59 AM

Re: Galileo - the state of the art EU satellite...

I thought Galileo was a US spacecraft that successfully went to Jupiter in the late 1980s or early 1990s. Took marvellous photos as I recall particularly of the Shoemaker Levy (sp?) comet crashing into Jupiter.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2019, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
Galileo IS British........

The EU , as usual, is hanging on The UK's coat tails.

It is a tactic of the EU to remove the expertise or assets of the UK in any given field and purloin it for it's own ends.
It's done it with the Fishing Industry, it's tried to do it with Financial Services, It wants to do it with our Armed Forces it's doing it with our Space and Aerospace expertise.

It also did it in areas such as technical and safety standards.

It did it in Bio-sciences.

The EU is a leech, an asset stripper. It has nothing constructive of it's own to offer it just takes, takes, takes and centralises power in undemocratic , unaccountable institutions.
Of course it in fact british. But it doesn't function, so the quality of it is also british standard?
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2019, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Of course it in fact british. But it doesn't function, so the quality of it is also british standard?
Our contribution was really small (about £1 billion) and we only got involved as a favour to the EU because the UK not only leads the world in satellite technology, we have been making them for years.

We invented the communication satellite incidentally (Arthur C Clarke - remember him ?)

Anyway, the reason it is knackered is because we didn't make all of it - only a small bit. The rest was bodged together by the 27 other countries.

The EU are threatening to remove us from the Galileo program when we leave on October 31st. We should be eternally grateful to the EU for not allowing us to be part of that epic failure....
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2019, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I thought Galileo was a US spacecraft that successfully went to Jupiter in the late 1980s or early 1990s. Took marvellous photos as I recall particularly of the Shoemaker Levy (sp?) comet crashing into Jupiter.
I think that was the Hubble Telescope ?

I remember those photos too - absolutely amazing stuff.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2019, 09:02 PM

Most of the expertise is British so we'll happily walk away and design our own.....it will be better and we'll complete it before the EU.
You and bread try to agree on this.
It's british, not working, so it's money thrown out of the window.
It's european, not working, so typically continental
It's british, it's working, really marvelous instrument
It's european, it's working, therefore it's thrash

Or. This is one of the many bad consequences of (no deal) brexit. But like any backfall, the british will overcome it.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2019, 09:33 PM

You and bread try to agree on this.
It's british, not working, so it's money thrown out of the window.
It's european, not working, so typically continental
It's british, it's working, really marvelous instrument
It's european, it's working, therefore it's thrash

Or. This is one of the many bad consequences of (no deal) brexit. But like any backfall, the british will overcome it.
As usual you miss the point.

The EU typically appropriated British expertise by starting a grandiose space programme the were ill equipped to progress without UK participation........However, they paradoxically also tried to bury UK influence under an avalanche of 2nd rate European meddling.

The project could only succeed if the UK took the leading role...........The EU ( French/Belgians) wouldn't let the UK take the leading role...........

We are better off out of it and will have our own, better system up and running forthwith......... We might let you rent some of it's capacity off of us!

And Yes,when the shackles are off, Nothing will stop the UK becoming the next European superpower overtaking the EU and Russia.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

22-07-2019, 09:38 PM

And Yes,when the shackles are off, Nothing will stop the UK becoming the next European superpower overtaking the EU and Russia.
Who is the great leader that will make you that superpower, and will you march again for that leader?
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

22-07-2019, 10:02 PM

Who is the great leader that will make you that superpower, and will you march again for that leader?

Who ever we choose.

A luxury you will not have ....
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2019, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
I think that was the Hubble Telescope ?

I remember those photos too - absolutely amazing stuff.
No, Galileo was definitely a 1980/90s spacecraft - it was put into orbit around Jupiter and ended up being crashed into Jupiter so it wouldn't contaminate any of Jupiter's moons.

Perhaps Britain couldn't think of a name for their space craft so used an old American one?

Originally Posted by Bread ->
We invented the communication satellite incidentally (Arthur C Clarke - remember him ?)

Hang on, I know that isn't true. I was involved with communications to Telstar which was the first communications satellite, it was developed by an American company (AT & T) with money from the USA, France and Britain. The idea was to get communications across the Atlantic. It wasn't in synchronous orbit and broadcasts were limited to a few minutes while the satellite was above the horizon. I think Richard Dimbleby and Walter Cronkite were involved in the first broadcast which came into the UK via the Eurovision link from Lille in France.

I was working at the GPO's Tolsford Hill Radio Station at the time and we spent considerable time getting the circuits to London perfect. The BBC then degraded the signal before broadcast on the theory that people would not believe it came from the USA if it was perfect.

In the late 60s/early 70s I worked at the PO Tower in London when these things became commonplace but Telstar was the first.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

23-07-2019, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
No, Galileo was definitely a 1980/90s spacecraft - it was put into orbit around Jupiter and ended up being crashed into Jupiter so it wouldn't contaminate any of Jupiter's moons.

Perhaps Britain couldn't think of a name for their space craft so used an old American one?

Hang on, I know that isn't true. I was involved with communications to Telstar which was the first communications satellite, it was developed by an American company (AT & T) with money from the USA, France and Britain. The idea was to get communications across the Atlantic. It wasn't in synchronous orbit and broadcasts were limited to a few minutes while the satellite was above the horizon. I think Richard Dimbleby and Walter Cronkite were involved in the first broadcast which came into the UK via the Eurovision link from Lille in France.

I was working at the GPO's Tolsford Hill Radio Station at the time and we spent considerable time getting the circuits to London perfect. The BBC then degraded the signal before broadcast on the theory that people would not believe it came from the USA if it was perfect.

In the late 60s/early 70s I worked at the PO Tower in London when these things became commonplace but Telstar was the first.

According to Wikipedia ...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_C._Clarke

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top