Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2014, 12:26 PM

Your Computer Setup?

I run a few home servers, along with a few computers all at the same time. These are all controlled by a KVM switch - one keyboard, mouse and monitor. The latest KVM switch runs off usb so I now use a wireless keyboard and mouse. This type of setup is wonderful to use and I first started using it when playing online computer games as it allowed me to control more than one character at a time . If you are unfamiliar with the workings of the KVM switch all you do is repeatedly press a button to move from one computer to the next. Saves so much time when working and also so much space if you run so many computers as I do.

Just built a more potent computer for my work (and a little gaming) that uses a quad core processor, which should mean it will help with multitasking, though I haven't really noticed a huge improvement over a Pentium 4 multi-threaded computer I used before which was a lot less powerful, but in the games department it flies as I have added a pretty nifty graphics card.

Had some great buys off Ebay whilst upgrading that included a Samsung SyncMaster 22 inch monitor for just £45 with FREE del. Also just bought a back up HP Proliant DL380 G5 Server / 2 x Dual Core Xeon 3.0GHz for just £45 with £12 del, and all it is lacking are the power supplies (I have lots) and hard drives (not needed). The server can run hundreds of pretty large datafeed shops with ease. Sure some great buys on Ebay with regard to computer equipment.

KVM Switch with cables - buy good quality shielded cables else you will suffer ghosting. The whole kit - with shielded cables - can be got for around £15.

HP Proliant DL380 G5 Server / 2 x Dual Core Xeon 3.0GHz

Looks rough but these servers fly.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2014, 04:41 PM

Re: Your Computer Setup?

My main, full-time computer is now one of these...

See if you can guess which one
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2014, 05:14 PM

A basic desktop running XP and a basic Laptop running Win 8 , pared down and run in desktop mode. I never play on-line games and only use the machines for a bit of browsing, on-line shopping and looking at a few forums.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2014, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
My main, full-time computer is now one of these...

See if you can guess which one
Ermm ... the ickle top one?
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2014, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
Ermm ... the ickle top one?
Yep
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2014, 08:23 PM

PC---XP.

Laptop----- Vista.

Dongle for tinternet.
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2014, 08:39 PM

I only have the PC now - Windows 7.
But I do have 4 external drives loaded with pictures, graphics, copies of files, copies of copies! etc.
I did have 2 laptops, but gave them away, as I like using the PC better.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2014, 09:18 PM

Toshiba laptop Windows 7
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2014, 09:36 PM

Commodore 64.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2014, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Commodore 64.
Wished i had kept my Amiga, lovely puter.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top