Join for free
Page 15 of 16 « First < 5 13 14 15 16 >
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2016, 11:43 AM

Re: Is editing photos fair?

Excellent post Realspeed, no matter how much state of the art stuff is available to the novice, if they can't see a good shot they won't create any miracles. On the other hand, a good eye can create magic from the basics.

The camera and Photoshop are tools, exactly the same as the old 35mm camera and the dark room, it is the operator who must posses the skills to use the tools in the same way an artist uses their brush to create.

I still maintain there should be no rules other than it must be the person who submits the work is the one who created it.
Simples!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2016, 11:49 AM

I doubt if many people have seen a row of black and white phone boxes with a red one stuck in the middle!
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2016, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
Tis true the camera does not act alone but a novice can create a stunning image these days, sadly there is no such thing as a 'photograph' these days....generally speaking of course.
There is a difference between taking a 'snap' (which most cameras will do well) or taking a 'photograph' - as in capturing a moment of life, along with emotion, content and expression. That takes composition which an automatic camera cannot do and relies on the person who knows how to artistically compose a shot as well as how to technically use his camera - as in manually controlling ISO, aperture, focussing etc. which will create an image far beyond any automatic settings. Photoshop is merely an extension of that, allowing the user to bring up/down colour, contrast, exposure, cropping etc. For example, my camera does not take pictures, it produced data files from which I have to extract the picture from in my PC with software.

Your "no such thing as a photograph" statement demonstrates your limited knowledge of the subject. It takes artistic skill to compose a picture (which you can do without expensive gear) and technical skill to manipulate the camera and use software to process it. But that is icing on the cake as many people have produced excellent shots by composition alone. Expensive gear is nice to have - if you know how to use it - but it's not vital to creating great shots.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2016, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Graham ->
There is a difference between taking a 'snap' (which most cameras will do well) or taking a 'photograph' - as in capturing a moment of life, along with emotion, content and expression. That takes composition which an automatic camera cannot do and relies on the person who knows how to artistically compose a shot as well as how to technically use his camera - as manually control ISO, aperture, focussing etc. which will create an image far beyond any automatic settings. Photoshop is merely an extension of that, allowing the user to bring up/down colour, contrast, exposure, cropping etc. For example, my camera does not take pictures, it produced data files from which I have to extract the picture from in my PC with software.

Your "no such thing as a photograph" statement demonstrates your limited knowledge of the subject. It takes artistic skill to compose a picture (which you can do without expensive gear) and technical skill to manipulate the camera and use software to process it. But that is icing on the cake as many people have produced excellent shots by composition alone. Expensive gear is nice to have - if you know how to use it - but it's not vital to creating great shots.
Very true Graham
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2016, 08:14 PM

Brilliant post Graham.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2016, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Graham ->
There is a difference between taking a 'snap' (which most cameras will do well) or taking a 'photograph' - as in capturing a moment of life, along with emotion, content and expression. That takes composition which an automatic camera cannot do and relies on the person who knows how to artistically compose a shot as well as how to technically use his camera - as in manually controlling ISO, aperture, focussing etc. which will create an image far beyond any automatic settings. Photoshop is merely an extension of that, allowing the user to bring up/down colour, contrast, exposure, cropping etc. For example, my camera does not take pictures, it produced data files from which I have to extract the picture from in my PC with software.

Yer, what he said.....
Lochsong
The Scrubs !!!
Lochsong is female  Lochsong has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2016, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Life is neither a Lie or a Truth Lochsong, it is what it is....
Then it is false!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

30-10-2016, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Lochsong ->
Then it is false!
If life was false Lochsong then we all would just be an illusion....
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2016, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
It was not obvious to anyone but me Tessa....
How on earth did you come to that conclusion? Do you think that you are the forums David Bailey?
It was a great photo in my opinion well produced well constructed, well photoshopped and was a very worthy winner.....and I am still of the same opinion....you have every reason to be proud of it.
Brown nosing at it's very finest.
Graham has already exposed your weakness on the subject.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2016, 02:25 AM

Have to say photography is my passion but I messed up big time today.
I broke my own golden rule of checking camera settings. Sue my son and myself went to Sheffield Park in Sussex today . There they have a fantasic number of trees all in autumn colours. Absolutely hundreds of people there taking photos, it is the big look see time for them.

Well old smart arse me being clever didn't put my glasses on to check the Nikon D800 camera first, and what I should have shot was RAW files on the CF memory card and Jpeg on the SD memory card. The camera holds both at the same time .

Me both cards went to Jpeg so a lot of editing depth with RAW files was lost

Just to give some idea of the number of people there in photo above

But managed to get a reasonable lot of photos but not i am not happy with them. had to edit out 3 people below

Yes that is what the paths are like around the huge ponds in the grounds. people come from miles around to see the vistas

Unfortunately not being allowed to drive any more to getto places like this i have to rely on Sue who can't understand getting a good photo takes time. Consequently everything is rushed which doesn't help. Maybe tying her legs together to stop her charging off like a gazell might work.

Well thats my excuse and I am sticking with it

Page 15 of 16 « First < 5 13 14 15 16 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top