Join for free
Page 903 of 1676 « First < 403 803 853 893 901 902 903 904 905 913 953 1003 1403 > Last »
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2018, 03:07 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Nice to hear that particular public convenience had a happy ending RJ.
I remember them well, we had several here in the city centre, probably all built by the same company as they were all done (no pun intended) while we were under British rule.
The ones with attendants were always the best to unburden oneself, the unattended places were inclined to have a perpetual smell of stale urine and the inside of the cubicles carried all sorts of obscene graffiti scribbled on the walls and etched into the woodwork. All the doors on the cubicles were painted that awful dark green colour.
There were so many pubs in Dublin back then that I very seldom had to use public toilets, I knew most of the bars and the barmen knew me but when I had to use a pub toilet that I’d never been in before the barmans eyes would follow me all the way down the bar, when you came out he would make a false cough accompanied by a “Ah hem” to grab your attention to buy a drink.
Some pubs even had signs on the toilet doors saying “For patron’s use only” These all had to be removed eventually as they were illegal, public house means public toilet facilities as well according to the old laws, whether they are changed now or not I couldn’t tell you, but I have never seen such signs on toilet doors since..
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2018, 03:15 PM

And now by way of commemoration, the Sausage Factory presents…

Ode to the Victorian Urinal

Gone are the days when men walked tall
Cos urinals had just been invented
You had your slash against the white wall
And walked away contented

Alas no longer stand the enamelled clays of Shanks
Tiny steel bowls have taken their place
And you line up with the other ranks
As you jostle to find a space.

Relief is no longer the pleasure it was
And your privacy went out the door
Space is money, that is the cause
Now they all miss the bowl and it lands on the floor.

Yes indeed, no privacy at all when doing number one in the pubs these days, the old urinals gave plenty of privacy with the high side walls, must be terribly embarrassing today for anyone with a small how’s yer father, just saying like.
That’s the urinals covered now, next week I’ll be doing the arsenals.

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2018, 07:11 PM

It was summer 1977, I had left school in 76, and met a girl during an excursion to the posh town, who had just left school, so was one year younger. At the time she lived in the house above, and the horseshoe above the garage was there then, as, she had a horse. The relationship was always going to be short term as she was due to go to university in September, (it was presently July). I met her brother only once in passing, but 15 years later, I went to work for a company where, he was the IT manager, but a decade or so on, his family were killed in a car crash in the USA, he survived, but with critical brain damage.

The point of this is, I'm keen to acquire the horseshoe as a keepsake, should I knock the homeowners door and asked if I can purchase it, or, is it best left where it is as it may have a significance, for others, in the ensuing forty odd years.
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2018, 07:32 PM

In all sincerity and reality spits...
That horseshoe,to you,has a spiritual holistic complexity that brings the colours of your mind together,to brighten the images of the roots that became you. So yes,knock...explain...ask if a replacement would be acceptable. Keep to the fore of your mind the reason you asked...those 'root' seedling events,that became spitty. If you don't,you'll forever wonder,end up blaming yourself for never having asked. For it's a simple truth that,if you don't swing the bat,you won't hit the ball. If the answer's "Go away",you've lost nothing.
If the answer is "Why,certainly-just replace it with a like version'',you'll be happily smiling,dancing with herself,tonight. If the answer is "Oh,dear fellow,help yourself,take it...just be careful"...you'll be somersaulting into the pub before 'throwing some shapes' as you grin like a loon in pure happiness.
So,just ask,explain.....and earn that smile.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2018, 07:33 PM

No idea Spitfire. Soz
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

05-08-2018, 08:34 PM

That seems like sound advice from Pug Spitty.
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2018, 08:36 PM

SEE,spitty?

I got JEM'S approval!!!!! [tries not to swoon with pride]
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

05-08-2018, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Pug ->
SEE,spitty?

I got JEM'S approval!!!!! [tries not to swoon with pride]
Well why shouldn't yeh, I was going to say the same as you said but you got there first.
You know what they say Pug me lad, "Great minds think alike and fools seldom differ"
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2018, 08:50 PM

Sorry I have been missing.
I need to read back. x
Hope you are all well. x

Jem Wednesday is a lucky day for you. No idea why I just heard those words in a dream. I think it is something to do with a horse. x
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2018, 09:01 PM

Ah Spitty, I have now read back. I think it will do no harm to ask.
Tell the owners your reasons. I hope you get it.

Page 903 of 1676 « First < 403 803 853 893 901 902 903 904 905 913 953 1003 1403 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top