Join for free
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2014, 03:52 PM

Bryter Layter.

No not the Nick Drake song, just it seems Spring has started to arrive, still on the cool side, but welcome to these cold bones that suffer greatly when the temperature is below 10.

So a couple of trips out have brought a few welcome sights not seen for a while. St Marys and Big Waters were the venues. A time when a chance of returning migrants and lingering Winter visitors can be seen.

First butterflies this year included Comma and Small Tortoiseshell, the frogs were in full chorus at the dipping pond. The wetland fox ambled lazily by and the BW Otter was seen briefly accompanied by the usual crowd of gulls overhead. The Lapwings and Golden Plover seemed to have moved away from the coast quite early this year.

A brief glimpse of a large raptor was announced by the alarm calls of the Wigeon. not enough of a view to be positive but probably a Red Kite, distant Buzzard also observed.

Only a few Hawthorn and Willow showing signs of life with a few Coltsfoot in bloom, Snipe were in evidence enjoying the sunnier edges too the pond. Nice find was a Male Goosander on the sea.

As Spring is said to travel Northwards at about 4 minutes a day it still has a little way to go yet.

A few pics from my library.

Comma butterfly.

Snipe.

Golden Plovers.

Goosander.

Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2014, 04:54 PM

Re: Bryter Layter.

I usually go and fetch my paper at about 5.15am and, starting this week, I hear the dawn chorus while on my travels.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2014, 05:32 PM

Just a few songbirds here at the moment Alan, and only tentative snatches of song, noticed a few reports o Wheatears and Sandmartin starting to filter through. I used to love going for a Dawn Chorus, trying to ID each species as they arose.
Cheshire Cat
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Cat is female  Cheshire Cat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2014, 05:44 PM

Spring has sprung. It sounds lovely there Nom. Lovely photos too.

Eldest son comes back from the Scillies next weekend, having successfully eradicated the rats from St. Agnes. This will now encourage the Manx Shearwaters back to the island.

He comes home to a job with the RSPB monitoring the Ring Ouzel for four months, locally and in Carlisle.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland

14-03-2014, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Cheshire Cat ->
Spring has sprung. It sounds lovely there Nom. Lovely photos too.

Eldest son comes back from the Scillies next weekend, having successfully eradicated the rats from St. Agnes. This will now encourage the Manx Shearwaters back to the island.

He comes home to a job with the RSPB monitoring the Ring Ouzel for four months, locally and in Carlisle.
Great to hear this news, CC, our Ring Ouzels will be be back shortly and in the Cheviots by April, ive done a bit voluntary work myself, helping to restore Otters to Northumberland, and removing non native trees and plants for woodland to bring back natural wild flowers Thanks to him some of the Manxies i see on my patch could be because of his work.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2014, 08:58 PM

Love the Golden Plovers Nom .
Someone I know said they had seen a House Martin building in their barn I hope we don't get a late snow like last year to upset the wildlife.

There are lots of violets out here and lambs everywhere. I rescued a recently born from the stream on Wednesday.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top