Join for free
Page 26 of 66 « First < 16 24 25 26 27 28 36 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2018, 09:36 PM

Re: Not going too well for Brexit!!!

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
As I've said in the past I am hoping common sense will prevail and they will agree a deal that works for all sides.
I'd be interested to learn what sort of a deal you would consider mutually beneficial to them and us.

Obviously, I wouldn't expect you to go into too great details, but a general idea of the 'gives' and 'takes' on both sides.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2018, 09:38 PM

Easy we give and they take
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2018, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Easy we give and they take
That's the impression I get when I read the Chequers Plan!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2018, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I'd be interested to learn what sort of a deal you would consider mutually beneficial to them and us.

Obviously, I wouldn't expect you to go into too great details, but a general idea of the 'gives' and 'takes' on both sides.
Well I am happy with free movement and access to the single market. But I am hoping they will negotiate something that gives us market access with some leeway on the movement such as not letting extended family members come too etc. A tailored deal where we may have to pay in but will get all our trade deals without having to reinvent the wheel and no pressure for political union or any extension of legal powers.

But I do think we need to relax on the unskilled workers. I can't see our young people rushing to dig potatoes or pick fruit at four am for the minimum wage. I also think we should have a reasonable process for skilled workers and students. We need both, badly.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2018, 10:30 PM

Well I am happy with free movement and access to the single market. But I am hoping they will negotiate something that gives us market access with some leeway on the movement such as not letting extended family members come too etc. A tailored deal where we may have to pay in but will get all our trade deals without having to reinvent the wheel and no pressure for political union or any extension of legal powers.

But I do think we need to relax on the unskilled workers. I can't see our young people rushing to dig potatoes or pick fruit at four am for the minimum wage. I also think we should have a reasonable process for skilled workers and students. We need both, badly.
That isn't Brexit , is it Annie?

Btw, Why do we need foreign students badly?

I would love to hear your thoughts as to why that should be.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2018, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Rest assured, I have already heard every disaster that Project Fear has managed to come up with and, despite all of those terrible warnings, I am still not quaking in my boots!

Sorry to disappoint you.
I'm not disappointed, in fact, it's what I expect from the british. Your attitude of "damn the guns, full speed ahead" is what I admire so much in the british people. It's that attitude that in the long run will bring you back in the economic race.
What saddens me, because you don't deserve it, is that you have been so misled by your leaders into fooling the chose for leaving the EU.
You are right in stating that you will work yourselves back. By the time you have catched up french and germans will have achieved their dream. Europe will be united against china (which at present already owns significant amounts of england) and russia and can compete with them. The UK will be marginalised in that economic race for growth. You really deserved better.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2018, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->

Until a few years ago there was substantial resistance against foreign students in the netherlands. For every foreign student our government paid € 6.000/year taxpayers money.
The resistance quickly disappeared after the National Economic Institute made some calculations. The dutch revenues are increased by € 1,5 billion every year. It was shown that approx. 1/4 of the students remained after their studies. They found good jobs, well paid. So they spent much and pay substantial taxes.
In the UK the revenues from foreign students will be higher, simply by the number of students.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2018, 10:53 PM

Foreign students? To keep our unis funded since the state cut it. They pay double the domestic rate.

It is my brexit. Brexit is whatever you want it to be. Your brexit is personal to you alone.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

07-10-2018, 10:55 PM

Taking each in turn:

Free movement, but not extended family members?
I can't agree, even without extended family. If we allowed that we'd be inundated by 'economic migrants', those who bring nothing to benefit us, but claim housing, handouts, etc.

Allowing in unskilled workers?
Possibly, but very limited numbers and only if they will fulfil a need. As soon as that need is fulfilled, they leave.

Allowing in skilled workers?
Certainly, if they are skills that we need.

Allowing in students?
Again, certainly, if they pay their own tuition fees. My wife's recent place of work welcomed many PhD students from the Middle East, whose home countries paid their fees. Once their chosen course is completed, and qualifications earned, they returned to their homelands. This was, without doubt, a mutually beneficial arrangement. Tertiary education is one of our most sought after 'exports'.

Access to the single market?
Of course. That goes without saying and, after all, what we enjoyed before the dictatorial EU took over.

Paying in?
Yes, but absolutely no more than France. If they receive rebates for, for example, their farmers; we receive the same.

No pressure for political union?
Certainly not. We should definitely refuse to sign up to any further loss of our sovereignty and should also refuse to obey any political diktats which don't suit us.

No extension of legal powers?
Again, definitely not. Moreover, we should not agree to any ECJ superiority to our own laws. They can make laws if they want, but we should not be obliged to accept their decisions.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

07-10-2018, 10:56 PM

I agree, but regarding foreign students, please see my post above.

Page 26 of 66 « First < 16 24 25 26 27 28 36 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top