Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2021, 10:40 PM

Re: Objecting hair

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
It could also be because you have a double crown. I have that problem too, and when I wake up, my hair looks like someone chopped my scalp with an axe, because I have a straight line at the back of my head

Or you could just be a lazy oaf.
A bit of both I think.

I know when I cut my hair with clippers, I have to go over that spot several times from all angles just to get it flat. Sometimes I have to do it again the day after.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2021, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Gosh that sounds awful Bratti!
I'm the opposite - short hair takes minutes to sit nicely, yet when it was a bit longer, I spent a ridiculous amount of time trying to get it to sit properly! It just depends on what you are used to I suppose
I think a lot depends on hair type. My hair is coarse and dry with 2c/3a curl which are coily curls or ringlets. The funny thing is that most people with curly hair gets curlier, the shorter it is. Not mine. When my hair is cut short, it cuts off all the ringlets and turns plain wavy and full of cowlicks. I’m hoping by the time I’m much older I’ll have discovered a style that might work. I love that bobbed look that has the back shorter that the front and the hemline slants down at the front. That’s a cute look that looks great on some people. It does however take a lot of upkeep and maintenance which is another thing altogether LOL
Teacup
UK
Teacup is female 

23-06-2021, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
Exactly! I agree. They seem to do what is easiest for them. It seems like most of them prefer adding in layers to any style and once you have layers, you have to keep going back to get them refreshed or they look horrible.

I’ve had long hair for most of my life. The last hairdresser I went to suggested I get a few light layers that I agreed to. Well I ended it with shoulder length hair that was as thin as ever since she cut most of it off 3 inches from my scalp. I almost cried. Never again. I like to have my hair all one length and the only time I leave it down is after I wash it. All other times it’s either braided back or up in a bun which takes no more than a few minutes whereas when it’s short I have to tame it by blow drying it which is a real pain.
You're lucky yours sits nice. My hair is so thick, also grows like grass, it's a nuisance!

My recent profile pics were earlier this year when I spent 2 hours or so taming it, then just couldn't wash my hair because otherwise would be left cavewoman style. Curls only look ok the first day sometimes, but because it's straight mostly at the top, with curls underneath I often get that wonderful bird's-nest look!

My hairdresser is local and great, as the most important thing is she has natural curls so understands my hair. Really lucky to have her.
She cuts good layers so can wear both ways. I just haven't got her knack for straightening.

I have 2 packs of a Brazilian keratin treatment, but that's going to be a tale for another day.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2021, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Teacup ->
You're lucky yours sits nice. My hair is so thick, also grows like grass, it's a nuisance!

My recent profile pics were earlier this year when I spent 2 hours or so taming it, then just couldn't wash my hair because otherwise would be left cavewoman style. Curls only look ok the first day sometimes, but because it's straight mostly at the top, with curls underneath I often get that wonderful bird's-nest look!

My hairdresser is local and great, as the most important thing is she has lots of curls so understands my hair. Really lucky to have her.
She cuts good layers so can wear both ways. I just haven't got her knack for straightening.

I have 2 packs of a Brazilian keratin treatment, but that's going to be a tale for another day.
Hey! It took me over 50 years to know how to handle my hair. Like yourself, first day curls look great until they get brushed. Then it looks like an SOS pad or fizzy galore. Now when I wash my hair I wet it and condition first from the ears down and only wash my scalp, rinse and add a bit more conditioner to the ends. To detangle I use a wide tooth comb and start from the ends first and go up. I leave it to dry on its own and once it’s dry brush it which is usually the next morning and YES it’s frizzy. What I do then is wet my hands and run them through the ends of my hair. Then I wet my hairs again and add a bit of hair conditioner and scrunch the ends with my conditioned wet hands. This works great for recurling the hair and adding curl definition. Plus buying a Mason Pearson brush was the next best thing I did. They are handmade in England with the best boar bristles in the world. They are the worlds best hair brushes.
Your hair sounds just like mine. My outside later is coarse and dry so is straighter than the inside of my hair which can be a true pain in the butt. Try the above and see how it works. You might wish to experiment some with different products and or methods / techniques.

Some good products I’ve tried are :
Quidad ( the curl experts )
Shea Moisture- coconut & hibiscus curl enhancing smoothy ( this stuff is great )
Be Curly - made be Aveda. It’s pricey and has a bit of silicone in it but very little.

Here’s a picture of the hair smoothie stuff. I hope you aren’t insulted by my hair suggestions. It’s a tough hair type to care for.

Good thing you have a professional hairdresser who knows curly hair. Bonus.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	FEFAD704-287E-459D-BB1B-FEC7B7D0F494.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	16063  
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2021, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
No Ulla thank goodness BJs hair seems to have a life of its own all the time not just when newly cut
It's been recorded that BJ likes to ruffle his hair before every photo shoot/TV appearance etc.

Seems a bit silly really...
Teacup
UK
Teacup is female 

24-06-2021, 07:57 AM

Hey! It took me over 50 years to know how to handle my hair. Like yourself, first day curls look great until they get brushed. Then it looks like an SOS pad or fizzy galore. Now when I wash my hair I wet it and condition first from the ears down and only wash my scalp, rinse and add a bit more conditioner to the ends. To detangle I use a wide tooth comb and start from the ends first and go up. I leave it to dry on its own and once it’s dry brush it which is usually the next morning and YES it’s frizzy. What I do then is wet my hands and run them through the ends of my hair. Then I wet my hairs again and add a bit of hair conditioner and scrunch the ends with my conditioned wet hands. This works great for recurling the hair and adding curl definition. Plus buying a Mason Pearson brush was the next best thing I did. They are handmade in England with the best boar bristles in the world. They are the worlds best hair brushes.
Your hair sounds just like mine. My outside later is coarse and dry so is straighter than the inside of my hair which can be a true pain in the butt. Try the above and see how it works. You might wish to experiment some with different products and or methods / techniques.

Some good products I’ve tried are :
Quidad ( the curl experts )
Shea Moisture- coconut & hibiscus curl enhancing smoothy ( this stuff is great )
Be Curly - made be Aveda. It’s pricey and has a bit of silicone in it but very little.

Here’s a picture of the hair smoothie stuff. I hope you aren’t insulted by my hair suggestions. It’s a tough hair type to care for.

Good thing you have a professional hairdresser who knows curly hair. Bonus.
Definitely for me the conditioner route, gives great natural curls. Never tried brushing from the ends up before, will give a go, and yes, your hair sounds very similar to mine.

Layering is a mixed bag, as there is just one hairdresser I found who styles it well, before there wasn't anyone. Now at least I can just scrunch with a little product to make ok.

I'm currently using an aveda leave in product (Aveda botanical repair). I will look at your other links, and thank you.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada

24-06-2021, 09:52 AM

Definitely for me the conditioner route, gives great natural curls. Never tried brushing from the ends up before, will give a go, and yes, your hair sounds very similar to mine.

Layering is a mixed bag, as there is just one hairdresser I found who styles it well, before there wasn't anyone. Now at least I can just scrunch with a little product to make ok.

I'm currently using an aveda leave in product (Aveda botanical repair). I will look at your other links, and thank you.
Oh yeah. Aveda is good and I love that fresh lemongrass scent. I wasn’t sure if you guys get that or not.
Plus I thought later that your hairdresser who has naturally curly hair could recommend the right type of products. You are in good hands. It’s not easy finding a good hairdresser who understands curly hair. Glad you found one.
Geez. I can sure ramble a lot about hair.
Teacup
UK
Teacup is female 

24-06-2021, 11:26 PM

Oh yeah. Aveda is good and I love that fresh lemongrass scent. I wasn’t sure if you guys get that or not.
Plus I thought later that your hairdresser who has naturally curly hair could recommend the right type of products. You are in good hands. It’s not easy finding a good hairdresser who understands curly hair. Glad you found one.
Geez. I can sure ramble a lot about hair.
Hair is a big thing to some of us. My friends prefer it straight, but it's so much easier to scrunch with conditioner especially when layered.
She's a diamond. You understand. Over many years I struggled with hair dressers who either gave me bouffants, or tried to give frizzy crispy curls.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada

25-06-2021, 06:40 PM

Hair is a big thing to some of us. My friends prefer it straight, but it's so much easier to scrunch with conditioner especially when layered.
She's a diamond. You understand. Over many years I struggled with hair dressers who either gave me bouffants, or tried to give frizzy crispy curls.
Only another curly haired woman would understand this.
A good hairdresser is awesome. A good hairdresser who is also a curly haired woman is priceless.

I’m fairly lucky in that if I blow dry my hair with a brush, ( which I rarely ever do ), it becomes more wavy and easier to manage but I love ringlets.
They are so feminine looking AND it IS far easier to scrunch the ends with conditioner than trying to straighten curls.
I mean, might as well go the curls than fight them
PS…. I think ‘hair’ is a big deal for most people, especially women.
Teacup
UK
Teacup is female 

26-06-2021, 12:00 PM

Only another curly haired woman would understand this.
A good hairdresser is awesome. A good hairdresser who is also a curly haired woman is priceless.

I’m fairly lucky in that if I blow dry my hair with a brush, ( which I rarely ever do ), it becomes more wavy and easier to manage but I love ringlets.
They are so feminine looking AND it IS far easier to scrunch the ends with conditioner than trying to straighten curls.
I mean, might as well go the curls than fight them
PS…. I think ‘hair’ is a big deal for most people, especially women.
You are honestly a breath of fresh air. I started straightening mine because everyone says it looks nice that way, but it's a pain in the butt!

Literally over two hours to try flatten, which others can do in minutes. I get mine layered as it's so heavy otherwise. Most days when straight I have to use wax or some oils.

I was going to upload a curly pic for my profile, but reset my phone yesterday, so will probably do again in a couple of months. Currently it's short, but it grows like grass so it won't be for much longer.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top