Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 02:56 PM

Re: On the contrary

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->

She agreed, and within 5 minutes said we ought to get the decorator in to redo the dining room (nothing wrong with it) and the kitchen (nothing wrong with it), plus she needs to book her hair appointment for next week (£50) and also go and get her legs waxed (whatever for, I don't know since she only wears trousers nowadays, so who's looking? £60). Then suggested we should get a takeaway tonight (£25)and she'll cook a big roast tomorrow (for reasons unknown, she cooks enough for 6, even though only 3 of us eat it and the rest usually goes to waste) (£20+).

Hardly the supportive spirit I was hoping for in my economy drive.
1. cancel the takeaway and offer to cook instead or just persuade her to accept fish and chips.
2. Say that as you are giving up smoking you need something to keep your mind occupied so offer to help her with the roast (so that you cook less) also will work well as she won't ever want to cook a roast again (in case you offer again and drive her nuts by getting in the way).
3. Tell her you are going vegetarian and that she should join you in solidarity as you won't be able to have any meat in the house (save £££'s on meat).
4. Assure her that you love hairy legs.
5. If that doesn't work accuse her of having a lover for whom she is doing her hair and waxing.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Minx ->
Dex, it is time to print out the budget and have a honest conversation around the finances and jointly decide what you both can sacrifice and what’s not negotiable.

Your lovely wife must have an idea of your financial plan which results in less stress for you since you both will share the burden of the budget. It’s 50/50 in a relationship

You won’t get it right the first time. Think of it as a marathon and not a race
Minx, I've tried that in the past to no avail. The point seems to sink in for a short point, but then the "rebound effect" kicks in.

For the purpose of clarification, the "rebound effect" is kinda like when one plans to go out for a quick drink and get home early, but ends up being a complete bender and finishing off at a dodgy nightclub until 2am. And vice versa. Ie..actual outcome = complete opposite of intended rationalised outcome.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
1. cancel the takeaway and offer to cook instead or just persuade her to accept fish and chips.
2. Say that as you are giving up smoking you need something to keep your mind occupied so offer to help her with the roast (so that you cook less) also will work well as she won't ever want to cook a roast again (in case you offer again and drive her nuts by getting in the way).
3. Tell her you are going vegetarian and that she should join you in solidarity as you won't be able to have any meat in the house (save £££'s on meat).
5. If that doesn't work accuse her of having a lover for whom she is doing her hair and waxing.
brilliant
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 03:01 PM

Minx, I've tried that in the past to no avail. The point seems to sink in for a short point, but then the "rebound effect" kicks in.

For the purpose of clarification, the "rebound effect" is kinda like when one plans to go out for a quick drink and get home early, but ends up being a complete bender and finishing off at a dodgy nightclub until 2am. And vice versa. Ie..actual outcome = complete opposite of intended rationalised outcome.

The problem is we all I believe have blocks in certain areas, this is where she has the block.

A family members girlfriend is morbidly overweight, she can’t understand that she needs to lose weight before they try for a baby...

She wants it “ Now”..
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Thanks Annie. For clarity, are you stating that this approach would unequivocally work on you if the situation arose?

Edit..points 4 and 5 will be part of the initial trial run
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
If I have to go into a nursing home, my children’s inheritance would be zilch....at the amount they charge each month.

May I also say...this woman has never worried about retirement or how much money she has in the bank.
You’re one of the many exceptions then Pauline. You’re so blessed.

PS: I updated my earlier comment to read better
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by minx ->
you’re one of the many exceptions then pauline. You’re so blessed.

Ps: I updated my earlier comment to read better

👍👍👍.....
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

16-07-2021, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
The problem is we all I believe have blocks in certain areas, this is where she has the block.

A family members girlfriend is morbidly overweight, she can’t understand that she needs to lose weight before they try for a baby...

She wants it “ Now”..
As our old chaplain used to say in assemblies when I was a kid, there's a big difference between wanting something and feeling like something.

I might want to be slim, but oh boy, just how much do I feel like stuffing that chocolate bar down my neck?
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

16-07-2021, 03:07 PM

Thanks Annie. For clarity, are you stating that this approach would unequivocally work on you if the situation arose?

Nooooo Dex ! Don’t try point 5! You’ll be relegated to the ‘no nookies’ corner Not a smart move!

You’ve got an Anniversary to enjoy.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 03:09 PM

Certainly point 2. would make me avoid making a roast ever again!

Point 4. will be dependent on the level of intimacy in your relationship. If you are still erm..physically close then it may work. Although after all these years she will probably be very suspicious. Otherwise you have to seriously consider point 5! (although that may open a can of worms rather than the can of beans you envisaged...)

Generally speaking the more you offer to help and interfere the more I'd be put off the whole process. So for example offer to decorate the lounge and kitchen yourself and that will be the end of that project

perhaps offer to wax her legs yourself too as a way to bring you closer as a couple!

The only one you should stay completely out of is having her hair done - that is sacred!

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top