Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2011, 04:01 PM

Re: No plans Saturday

Hi all, from a cold gloomy Washington. A very unusual early snowstorm is here, in the City it's just a cold all day rain, but North and West they're getting snow, as much as 6 inches in some areas. Almost 11 AM and it's only 3℃ (37℉),quite a difference from the temps lately. NOT my weather, couldn't go out to pick Leia's grass So an indoors day, papers, crossword and computer.

Rest, Jean, best thing for you now. Do you have a Kindle, you can download some good stories to pass the time.

Stay warm and dry, people
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2011, 04:39 PM

It was raining this morning but the sun came out long enough for Phoebe to go to greenhead. Very exciting time she had too, there was a sheep on the A69 trying to cross the road and there was a lot of traffic on there, so she and Joe herded it to the side of the road and the farmer came along with his motor bike thingy and put it on the back and took it back to the field, its all go here in the country.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2011, 07:20 PM

I had a neighbour of mine in today with her little daughter, I guessed the child to be about 10, and the gold ring on her finger would not come off, the child was all tensed up and crying and her finger was swelled and sore so I used the ring remover (a sort of pliers thing that slides between the finger and the ring, then you turn the small circular saw blade) to get it off, I was glad I could help. I offered to repair the cut shank and put a couple of sizes into the ring, so I'll do that on monday.
Now the little lecture.
It is not advisable, in my opinion, to buy rings for children for a number of reasons. Firstly and most importantly, safety, I personally remember a little girl losing her finger when a ring caught in a swing many years ago and I'm sure you all heard similar stories. Secondly, children grow up very quickly and parents seem to overlook the fact that the ring doesn't grow with them, hence the need for a ring remover. Every time you cut the shank of an expensive gold ring you have to file it straight, insert an extra piece of gold and solder it back together, file it again, emery paper it, then polish it, all taking gold away from the ring, this can happen 2 or 3 times until the child is an adult, and besides weakening the original ring it can be very costly. By all means let them wear a cheap opened shank ring that will give way under pressure. With the festive season almost upon us, think twice before buying the real thing for a loved child until the are fully developed. The jewellers federation will hate me for this, to hell with 'em. I have made two rings for my grandsons but they wont fit them till they are adults.

End of lecture.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2011, 07:44 PM

What a valuable piece of information, Jem! I never really thought about that, and I imagine many others haven't either.
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2011, 10:23 PM

Agree with Eileen, Jem and thanks goodness you were able to come to their rescue
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2011, 10:33 PM

Thanks for that information, Jem - I have an 11 year old granddaughter who is desperate to have her first ring. I'll definitely warn my daughter about risk of her finger growing too big to remove the ring safely.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2011, 11:03 PM

Pretty miserable day weather wise-dull and overcast, then we got a heavy shower early evening.

Usual sort of Saturday, walking, weekly shop and few household jobs.

Jean, take it easy and don't overdo it.......

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top