Join for free
Page 4 of 14 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2013, 09:05 PM

Re: Dogs - sheesh!

Well I'd trade a human trait or two just to be able to trip up/fall over/walk into something and not worry first about if I looked daft/if anyone saw me rather than if I'd hurt myself - just like dogs do
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2013, 09:59 PM

Story in our local paper today:
Postie Bitten By Dog on Private Sack (odd title)
Postie of 25 years, went into garden to deliver mail, dog ran up & bit him in the "privates" .He shouted, dog released him, put his hand down & he was covered in blood.
Poor guy had just recovered from a vasectomy!
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2013, 10:17 AM

Crikey - that is bad. I do think that if people have dogs that could bite, they should erect a post box for the postmen to use (that's what I've done since 'adopting' my older dog) and over here, if your dogs are a serious threat to postmen, you'd be told to collect your own mail from the local sorting office.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2013, 10:53 AM

We have some neighbours with those US type boxes. They're a good idea, I like the way the posties over there collect post too! Although probably get nicked here!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2013, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
Crikey - that is bad. I do think that if people have dogs that could bite, they should erect a post box for the postmen to use (that's what I've done since 'adopting' my older dog) and over here, if your dogs are a serious threat to postmen, you'd be told to collect your own mail from the local sorting office.
We even put an extra door a few feet from the front door down the hallway to stop ours getting to the letter box as we were worried postie might get his fingers bitten.

I never understand people taking chances their dogs could hurt someone.
Myth and Magic
UK
Myth and Magic is female  Myth and Magic has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2013, 12:56 PM

I agree with some of what Maggis said but this part:

In addition to these virtues, dogs are thought to know instinctively who is friend and who is foe.

I cannot agree with this, the dog senses his/her owners feelings towards someone. If the owner is an aggressive bully, so will the dog be. If the owner encourages the dog to attack, he will.

Ask the many posties who have been attacked, I think that they will agree with me.

Save our Posties, get a mail box!
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2013, 08:35 AM

We have a post box but not to protect the postie, it is to protect our dogs from people who leave our gate open so the dogs could get out.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2013, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by maggis ->
Something to ponder

The modern terms cynic and cynical derive from the Greek word kynikos, the adjective form of kyon, meaning dog.[39] Diogenes believed human beings live artificially and hypocritically and would do well to study the dog. Besides performing natural bodily functions in public without unease, a dog will eat anything, and make no fuss about where to sleep. Dogs live in the present without anxiety, and have no use for the pretensions of abstract philosophy. In addition to these virtues, dogs are thought to know instinctively who is friend and who is foe. Unlike human beings who either dupe others or are duped, dogs will give an honest bark at the truth. (Wikipedia)

JUST as I have long suspected.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2013, 10:14 AM

Here everyone has a postbox, I have never seen a door with a letterbox in it. If a parcel or something to big to go in the postbox is delivered delivery person will ring gate bell, if no reply then a "we tried to deliver" note will be left in the postbox or in postoffice delivery an official "collect from postoffice" slip will be left. I donīt think postmen or anyone else should have to risk getting bitten by dogs.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2013, 09:19 AM

I go to our local Dog Training for Obedience and Agility, I think every dog owner should have to go to the Obedience Class. It's amazing to see the way some Owners behave...they simply have no clue about their dog. I always find a trained dog is a happy dog. Also if we're out walking I'm always alert, looking ahead and taking in what's going on around us, and if I see someone coming I don't recognise I call Dageus in to Heel at once, he's a huge dog but still a pup and full of bounce, it can be scary if he heads for you and you don't know him. Once I see things are ok then he gets to go and say hello. To my knowledge no dog is ever born bad.....it's once humans get involved the trouble starts.

Page 4 of 14 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top