Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2021, 02:49 PM

Covid: Masks and social distancing 'could last years'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56475807

Mary Ramsay, the head of immunisation at Public Health England, said basic measures could be in place until other countries successfully roll out jabs. She also said a return of big spectator events required careful monitoring and clear instructions about staying safe.

Dr Ramsay said lower-level restrictions such as face coverings in crowded places and social distancing had become accepted by many and still allowed the economy to function. She said "people have got used to those lower level restrictions now, and people can live with them, and the economy can still go on with those less severe restrictions in place. So I think certainly for a few years, at least until other parts of the world are as well vaccinated as we are, and the numbers have come down everywhere, that is when we may be able to go very gradually back to a more normal situation," she added.

Warning it was "very important that we do not relax too quickly", Dr Ramsay said any circulating virus would inevitably pick on those who are vulnerable.

"We have to look very carefully before any of these restrictions are lifted," she said.

Prof Chris Whitty, the UK government's chief medical adviser, told MPs earlier this month that it was hoped "simple interventions like washing hands, face masks where appropriate, test-and-trace, and above all vaccines" would keep the virus controlled beyond the summer.

Sir Patrick Vallance, the chief scientific adviser, has also said face masks could be needed in certain situations if the number of infections rises in the winter, but that it was possible people will naturally behave in a way that promotes social-distancing without the need for restrictions.

A group of government scientific advisers said last month that "maintaining a baseline of policies which reduce transmission" will be necessary for some time to come.

Those experts said these could include continuing test-and-trace, self-isolation, and public messaging that encourages "voluntary actions to reduce risks".
IMO, those "experts" relying on "voluntary action" and appropriate behaviour are not making an allowance for morons - give 'em an inch and they'll take a mile .....

I think Mary's right to be cautious .....
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2021, 03:37 PM

Re: Covid: Masks and social distancing 'could last years'

I can't see people having patience with these measures lasting beyond this year. Particularly if we have all been vaccinated.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2021, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I can't see people having patience with these measures lasting beyond this year. Particularly if we have all been vaccinated.
Hence ..... the return of the morons .....

Vaccination does not prevent reinfection (in either direction) .....
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2021, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Hence ..... the return of the morons .....

Vaccination does not prevent reinfection (in either direction) .....
No it doesn't but it will prevent deaths and severe disease so I can't see any reason for people being restricted long term when there is an increase in infections but not much pressure on the NHS.

The whole point of vaccination is so that we can go back to a semblance of normality. I expect things to be back to normal in most countries in 2022 for sure.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

21-03-2021, 04:53 PM

The whole point of vaccination is so that we can go back to a semblance of normality. I expect things to be back to normal in most countries in 2022 for sure.
I assume that you mean the "old" normal - IMO, we're never going back to that - the "new" normal means different approaches to living and working with the possibility of further global "disruptions", whatever form they may take .....
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

21-03-2021, 04:56 PM

It wouldn't surprise me if it took a bit longer in some countries than others but I definitely think we will go back to a reasonably similar normal just with shifts where people and businesses have changed their way of working by choice. I can't see things being the way they were because of the serious economic disruption this has had. But I do think that we will be able to have holidays, weddings, parties and Christmas with family and friends. Let's see what happens and who is right!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

21-03-2021, 05:10 PM

It wouldn't surprise me if it took a bit longer in some countries than others but I definitely think we will go back to a reasonably similar normal just with shifts where people and businesses have changed their way of working by choice. I can't see things being the way they were because of the serious economic disruption this has had. But I do think that we will be able to have holidays, weddings, parties and Christmas with family and friends. Let's see what happens and who is right!
It's not a question of who is right .....

It's more a question of scale ..... allowing billions of people to travel (almost) without hindrance all over the world then letting them have unfettered access to billions of others will, as we now know, only lead to tears:

COVID Worldwide:

Total cases 122,733,136

Deaths 2,708,531

since this time last year .....

Pre-COVID, at any given time, there were 20,000 planes in the air carrying 500,000 passengers. The total number of passengers carried in a year was 5,000,000,000.

Next time, the "invader" may be a different "kettle of fish" - a COVID vaccination won't help then ..... any country that does not now pepare for the "unknown unknown" may suffer worse consequences than a disrupted economy and a million dead .....

Obviously, weddings, parties and Christmas with family and friends will return in some form ..... but Glastonbury, the Grand National, the Cup Final .....
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

21-03-2021, 05:15 PM

Well I was thinking in terms of a wager type of thing. I was definitely wrong with my predictions last year!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

21-03-2021, 05:33 PM

Well I was thinking in terms of a wager type of thing. I was definitely wrong with my predictions last year!
TBH, I wouldn't like to bet on potential world catastrophe - the response of our government has been inadequate (at best), the the response of the US government (Trump) has been appalling and I read today that the Russian COVID death toll is approaching 500,000. China admits to 90,000, which has got to be a lie.

Nobody could have predicted that a pandemic would be so badly managed by governments in the 21st century .....
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2021, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->

Nobody could have predicted that a pandemic would be so badly managed by governments in the 21st century .....
I read that all the world leaders got together once a year to practice what procedures they would undertake, if such an event were to happen! Clearly some didn't get the memo

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top