Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2017, 09:38 PM

Re: Yoga? Meditation? What do you think.

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Anxiety and nervous stomachs led me to see a counsellor who suggested relaxation and he did me a tape. It was all about flexing and relaxing muscles from the head to the toes, deep breathing etc etc. Wonderful relaxing voice and it worked. Still got it nearly 40 years later. Trouble is, one time I rose up and floated somewhere - it frightened me so much, I never did it again.
You know some people are trying to attain exactly that and practice and practice to no avail ... those who believe in astral travel or OBE's.

I've consciously tried to do it in my younger years.
First, totally relaxed, you can't feel your body and it loses it's boundaries which can be quite pleasant, no arms or legs or head just your own consciousness and sense of Self ... until I floated up and my spatial awareness told me I was close up to the ceiling.
Once I thought about that too much the feeling was lost and so quickly it was like a rubber band snapping. Had a bit of a headache after so it might have just been a rush of high blood pressure.

I've never ever managed to do it other than for that one time and now I'm old and gummy and fragile I don't bother. I don't think I could take the excitement.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2017, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
I do mindfulness which can be dome anywhere at any time.
I've not done this yet heard about it . Tell me a bit more please
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2017, 09:44 PM

I've never heard of it either and was about to ask ... like you Sue, I wouldn't mind knowing more.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2017, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
You know some people are trying to attain exactly that and practice and practice to no avail ... those who believe in astral travel or OBE's.

I've consciously tried to do in my younger years.
First, totally relaxed, you can't feel your body and it loses it's boundaries which can be quite pleasant, no arms or legs or head just your own consciousness and sense of Self ... until I floated up and my spatial awareness told me I was close up to the ceiling.
Once I thought about that too much the feeling was lost and so quickly it was like a rubber band snapping. Had a bit of a headache after so it might have just been a rush of high blood pressure.

I've never ever managed to do it other than for that one time and now I'm old and gummy and fragile I don't bother. I don't think I could take the excitement.
Yes, I've been told that before Morti. I've tried to rationalise why I felt so frightened over the years and I came to the conclusion it has something to do with being or feeling 'out of control'...
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2017, 10:03 PM

I havn't been to Yellowstone Park to see Yogi or even BoBo. I suppost Yoga is a distant cousin or something
Morticia
Chatterbox
England

23-11-2017, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
I havn't been to Yellowstone Park to see Yogi or even BoBo. I suppost Yoga is a distant cousin or something
You've never seen a flying yogi Realspeed ? You've missed something wondrous there .. the most spectacular sit ontop of Old Faithful waiting for the geysers next blast.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England

23-11-2017, 10:59 PM

Yes, I've been told that before Morti. I've tried to rationalise why I felt so frightened over the years and I came to the conclusion it has something to do with being or feeling 'out of control'...
Couldn't feel your body at all? Can lessen your sense of Self whereas the real keen students of astral travel are dying to experience just that. That's their objective. To shed the limits of the physical body and allow their astral body to travel freely at will.

I confess my own motives were purely peeping-tom. Spying. Sounds so tawdry Possibly, just possibly, my impure motives are what limited my success.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2017, 11:02 PM

A lot of the watchers on here, seem to spend long periods of time in quiet contemplation.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2017, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->

I've consciously tried to do it in my younger years.

That could be a problem.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2017, 11:21 PM

I tried yoga and meditation in my youth. Not my thing at all. Too slow and I just couldn't settle into it, it all felt a bit 'flaky' to me.

I used to visualise lying in a boat just drifting along under the canopy of the trees, with the sun twinkling through every now again, the birds were singing, bees buzzing, oh all sorts I used to visualise. Always relaxed me when I felt anxious or stressed.
I actually do this while out running out in the country Pesta, one of the reasons I do it.

I'm nothing like I used to be with stress levels, and I've made myself anti social to a certain degree - so I sleep like a log and the only thing I worry about is not having much of anything to worry about
Sounds just like me.......

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top