Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2017, 03:13 PM

What Would You Do In The Event Of a Fire?

DO YOU EVER WORRY ABOUT A FIRE BREAKING OUT.

After the horror of Grenfell, I wonder whether I am alone in wondering how those of us, especially those living in flats, worry more now about a fire breaking out. Although he who must obey has worked in the Fire Industry for the last 30 years, and despite the fact that we have a fire extinguisher, fire blanket, fire detectors in three different locations throughout the house, I still can't help worrying that if the fire detector goes off and wakes us up in good time to escape, what happens if the fire has reached the bottom of the stairs (which is our only means of escape) apart from the bedroom windows which have only concrete to greet us on the ground.

I do tend to be over-cautious about double-checking that all plugs are switched off and the gas hobs are in the off positions, but then I stupidly leave Sky on standby so programmes that I wish to record, can do so. So there, I have the TV, the BT Hub and box, plus the Sky box all left on all night!

As we live in a house we don't have any emergency stand-by such as an emergency ladder to swing out of the window (sash windows) so I worry about how we would get out. I'm in no fit state to be able to climb down a rope ladder anyway!! especially holding one of my babies (dogs) in my arms whilst he who must obey carries the other. I know the rule is rescue yourselves first but there is no way I would ever leave them to be rescued after us!

Do you ever worry about a fire breaking out in your home ( Have you ever made plans in your mind of the action you would take in the event of a fire? and in reality, would it really work or is it just wishful thinking?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2017, 04:14 PM

Re: What Would You Do In The Event Of a Fire?

I live in mid-victorian house converted into four separate flats. Luckily enough I live on the ground floor. We have an integrated fire alarm system throughout the four flats which sounds at 130 Db (loud enough to wake the dead). Being on the ground floor its a simple matter to open my front door, step out into the hallway and open the communal front door out onto the path leading to the pavement.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2017, 04:16 PM

im in a Bungalow now and as soon as we moved in I changed the windows purposely for us to escape a fire,the ones that were in were one pane and a very small window at the top no good fora quick escape .Since the Grenfell fire i have bought a Fire Blanket for Kitchen fires .We have got Smoke and Fire alarms too .

A long time ago when i lived in a house ,,we talked about getting out , and i told my children to stay in their bedrooms , go to the windows and shout for help ..(if it was a night time fire ..)
Ive been woken up by a Smoke filled bedroom and its scarey , my husband use to smoke in bed in the night , one night i woke , and the Duvet was glowing a circle of red light. I smelled the fumes straight away and they were catching the back of my throat .
In a second i jumped out of bed shouting fire, dragging the quilt to the bathroom putting it the bath and put the taps on full . ..
Cause hes still lying there wondering what im doing , i rushes to the window and flung them open to get rid of the smoke .. Then i start shouting at him for smoking in bed , his reply was close them windows do you want the neighbours to hear ..
I do wonder if it hadn't woken up what might have happened .......
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2017, 04:38 PM

We too live in a one story home, the old Cattleman's Cottage to be presice. Easy enough to get out a window........But hope we never have to..
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2017, 04:44 PM

I'm in a bungalow so already have in my mind which back window to clamber out of ... the one where I can stand on the bed, get my leg over, which has a garden bench the other side so I don't fall and break anything if my hands are full.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2017, 04:50 PM

I too am in a tiny bungalow, with three smoke alarms, plus carbon monoxide detector. No doubt I could overcome my arthrits sufficiently, in a dire emergency, to climb out of a window.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2017, 04:51 PM

I set my kitchen on fire once; it was the entire oven and I had no choice but to get out of the house asap and ring 999
doctor
west wales
doctor is male  doctor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2017, 04:52 PM

I go to bed with a bucket of water by my side,

never worrys me about a fire,,upstairs out onto the balcony,close the doors behind me
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2017, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by CeeCee ->
I too am in a tiny bungalow, with three smoke alarms, plus carbon monoxide detector. No doubt I could overcome my arthrits sufficiently, in a dire emergency, to climb out of a window.
I think the thought of a hot arse if you didn't move would be all the motivation you would need..
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2017, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by doctor ->
I go to bed with a bucket of water by my side,

never worrys me about a fire,,upstairs out onto the balcony,close the doors behind me
Romeo Romeo..wherefore art Thou Romeo

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top