Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2017, 12:42 PM

Mother wins £9m compensation after giving birth to seriously ill baby she would have

I can't help thinking this is a bit "odd". Probably because we have a friend who has haemophilia, there was also a boy in my junior school class who did too, neither were, or are, considered as "ill". It was a matter of being extra careful, taking the right precautions and prompt action if the need arose.

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/mother-win...162419907.html
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2017, 02:59 PM

Re: Mother wins £9m compensation after giving birth to seriously ill baby she would have

This is absolutely outrageous .
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2017, 03:26 PM

Re: Mother wins £9m compensation after giving birth to seriously ill baby she would have

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I find it very strange. The people we know with this condition live perfectly normal lives. As small children, obviously extra care was taken, but once old enough to understand they took responsibility for themselves. It really doesn´t interfere with their lives much at all.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2017, 03:58 PM

I confess I'm always a little prejudiced when any mother says she would have had an abortion had she known beforehand that her little one would have some kind of medical condition. Wonder whether she'll ever tell him that?

The little chap has two conditions apparently .. haemophilia and autism.... and the award is based on both though her claim was based on his haemophilia.
Seems excessive to say the least.

Quotes:
In December 2015 the child was diagnosed with autism, which has made treating his haemophilia more complicated

It was agreed that Ms Meadows could recover the additional costs of raising Adejuwon due to his haemophilia, but it was disputed that this applied to his autism.

But..

The judge said that Ms Meadows was entitled to the additional costs associated with both conditions and awarded her the sum of £9 million which had been agreed subject to the resolution of the legal issue.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2017, 05:12 PM

It's not haemophilia we have but we have a clotting diseas, the idea of not having had tasha, it killed her, or grace, she's disabled and unlikely to live past 30 just fills me with sadness. Ok lives not lived long but my goodness they pack a lot of living and loving into them.

If the little boy ever learns of this I wonder how loved he will feel.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2017, 05:20 PM

That's what I thought.

Loads of mother's are unfortunate enough to have children faced with a shortened lifespan or life with a medical condition ... I imagine their main worry is if they themselves are upto the task of providing a loving caring home and enjoyable life to their little kid .... not say they'd have had an abortion and chase after a hefty financial payout.
Babies don't come with a Quality Control Guarantee stamped on their little bums.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2017, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I agree!
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain

25-11-2017, 06:06 PM

You´ve put that very well Morticia. I can understand the mother wanting to know if her child would be haemopheliac, but I can´t understand her wanting an abortion if tests proved he would be. Hardly grounds for an abortion, at least in my opinion. The autism is a completely separate issue, the mother was not wanting to be tested for that, if there is such a test, I really don´t know.

I do think it´s a ridiculously excessive sum of money to pay out to this mother. Whether the child is loved and well cared for or no, this mother would have aborted him had she know he would be haemoheliac, which is a complaint that many people cope well with throughout their lives.
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2017, 08:49 PM

It does seem very odd that this woman was granted such a high award for something that affects many other people,it just doesnt ring true,I wonder if there is something else wrong with the child that's not been reported
Tartlet
UK
Tartlet is female  Tartlet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2017, 03:58 AM

Hasn’t the money been awarded because the mother’s GP failed to have the correct genetic tests done when she went to him/her before getting pregnant to find out whether any child of hers might have haemophilia?

The article says that the GP only tested to see whether the mother had haemophilia rather than whether she carried the risk in her genes.

The mother became pregnant thinking that there was no risk when in fact she was a carrier and passed it on to the child.

Gross negligence on the part of the GP I’d have thought.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top