Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2017, 03:08 PM

Re: Mother wins £9m compensation after giving birth to seriously ill baby she would have

The mind boggles at such an astronomical amount of money awarded. I would love to know how the Judge worked out the amount?

I also wonder how other mothers who gave birth to disabled children, or waiting to give birth after being informed that there is something not right with the foetis,and recommended abortion, but determined to give birth, will be feeling after learning of this ridiculous award, when they know the only road ahead for themselves will be one of fighting to get any help financially and personally.
It must seem very unfair to them when they read stories such as this..
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2017, 03:27 PM

Re: Mother wins £9m compensation after giving birth to seriously ill baby she would have

Originally Posted by Tartlet ->
Hasn’t the money been awarded because the mother’s GP failed to have the correct genetic tests done when she went to him/her before getting pregnant to find out whether any child of hers might have haemophilia?

The article says that the GP only tested to see whether the mother had haemophilia rather than whether she carried the risk in her genes.

The mother became pregnant thinking that there was no risk when in fact she was a carrier and passed it on to the child.

Gross negligence on the part of the GP I’d have thought.
Yes, you're right .. that does seem to be the case. Aside from the actual pregnancy the claim goes back to earlier 'incomplete' testing.

Even so, whilst no one would argue her claim that her GP had been negligent the amount awarded seems excessive and is including the child's diagnosis of autism ... but perhaps what strikes the eye more is her statement that she would have had an abortion had she known.
Which I guess overshadows the issue of GP negligence or her right to compensation and makes her appear a little 'mercenary'.
Tartlet
UK
Tartlet is female  Tartlet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2017, 06:06 PM

But presumably she’d never have got into the situation when an abortion was an option because she wouldn’t have got pregnant had she known there was a risk to the foetus. It still comes back to GP fault.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2017, 06:28 PM

Well when you put it like that ...yes.
And the GP was at fault. There's no doubt about that.

So will she say to her kid .. you'd never have been born without the GP. Not that he's not your father but it was his error that encouraged me to get pregnant and have you. Had I known I would have had you aborted. Don't take that personally and feel unloved, but this is why I demanded financial compensation. And that is also why you have no brothers and sisters as I then engaged in safe sex with adequate contraception.

I'd be more inclined to have sympathy for someone who had a similar claim whose story ran ...
My GP didn't detect that I had bowel cancer at the early stages though I visited him for a year with bowel problems .. and the Urinary consultant he referred me to assured me I did not have cancer. After investigative surgery I am now diagnosed with terminal cancer. I could sue but court cases can take so long I fear I will be dead.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2017, 06:38 PM

Hi

I have a simple view of life.

Any child of mine would have been loved and cared for for, compensation or no compensation.
Tartlet
UK
Tartlet is female  Tartlet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2017, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Well when you put it like that ...yes.
And the GP was at fault. There's no doubt about that.

So will she say to her kid .. you'd never have been born without the GP. Not that he's not your father but it was his error that encouraged me to get pregnant and have you. Had I known I would have had you aborted. Don't take that personally and feel unloved, but this is why I demanded financial compensation. And that is also why you have no brothers and sisters as I then engaged in safe sex with adequate contraception.

I'd be more inclined to have sympathy for someone who had a similar claim whose story ran ...
My GP didn't detect that I had bowel cancer at the early stages though I visited him for a year with bowel problems .. and the Urinary consultant he referred me to assured me I did not have cancer. After investigative surgery I am now diagnosed with terminal cancer. I could sue but court cases can take so long I fear I will be dead.
I understand completely what you’re saying. My brother in law was a victim of what you’re describing.

I was just making the point about the basis on which the case was brought.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England

26-11-2017, 10:57 PM

On that one we agree.
It was brought on the basis of her son's haemophilia and her own GP's negligence in diagnosing that she was a carrier.

I suppose it's because the cases that usually hit the headlines are the ones which involved thousands like the thalidomide babies.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top