Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2017, 10:13 PM

999 Emergency Services.....Don't Make Me Laugh.

My Mum's health has deteriorated quite a lot over the last month which has resulted in the need for an ambulance twice this week.

Her condition means that one day she'll just stop breathing, she'll suffocate and be very aware of what is happening.

A very frightening thought to live with.

Last Wednesday night she started to choke, gasping for air and turning blue, I honestly thought this was it.

To see the panic on my mum's face was horrendously upsetting....an ambulance was called and prioritised as urgent.

40 minutes it took......the paramedics were superb but felt awful at the stress the delay caused my mum.

She wasn't admitted as her wish is to die at home but a doctor was called and he diagnosed an infection.

Today the same thing....but....this time the ambulance took
45 mins....again the crew were brilliant....mum is now in hospital having treatment.

I feel so sorry for the ambulance crews.
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2017, 10:25 PM

Re: 999 Emergency Services.....Don't Make Me Laugh.

It is such a shame that your Mum had to suffer because of the lack of funding in the NHS. The people that work for them deserve all the credit that we can put on them, but their hands are tied due to the bureaucracy that is instilled within its remit. I hope that Mum improves very soon mate.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2017, 10:29 PM

We learned after my mom's cardiac arrest to train the entire family in CPR and make sure we have a defibrilator at home.

Is there something that can be done to help with her breathing at home should you have to wait that long, like a CPAP machine?

This must be incredibly frightening for everyone. I am terribly sorry she is having to endure this.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2017, 10:31 PM

It's their job Tpin .. and they wouldn't be doing it if they didn't care about people and want to help them and do their utmost for them.... I expect they know the limitations the NHS cashlack has forced on them.

Must be awful for you and your mum. Very frightening. I hope she gets over her infection soon .. she can do without that. And you? Horrible been the 'watcher'. I hope you're managing to unwind a little as you'll still be in a state of anxious overdrive.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2017, 10:38 PM

A tank of pure Oxygen would seem useful Tpin.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2017, 11:18 PM

Tpin, I am so very sorry about your poor old Mum, what a frightening experience for both of you. What a good job you were there.

Do you know what to do should this happen again, or can the paramedics show you what to do until help arrives?
It would perhaps help you (and her of course) if you feel confident and capable of doing the right things quickly.

I have a reasonable idea of what you are going through, my Mum wanted to die at home too, although sadly, it did not happen that way in the end.

An extremely difficult time for you all. God bless you and your family. x x
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2017, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
A tank of pure Oxygen would seem useful Tpin.
I can't remember the details but when OH's mum was dying they said it's not good to have oxygen in the house because you can kill someone just as soon as save their life with it. It's not so simple using it to help.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2017, 11:27 PM

I’m so sorry to hear about your Mum, Terry, it must have been frightening for you to see her like that.

I hope she recovers from the infection and is back home with you soon.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2017, 10:17 AM

Sorry to hear this tpin . As you say the medics are wonderful, but having watched the 999 programs it's shocking to see the abuse of our services from some members of the public . They get called out to people who could get to hospitals themself's and the service is used for all kinds from drunks to mental health calls and fights etc . With the cut backs those in dire emergency are kept waiting .

What a frightening thing for you all .
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2017, 10:28 AM

So sorry to hear about your mum's horrible experiences, horrible for you too. I do hope your mum is now feeling more comfortable and this doesn't happen again in the near future.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top