Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2015, 08:47 AM

Churchill

Truly admired him
Have you any memories of the burial day to share or of the great man himself ........
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2015, 10:46 AM

Re: Churchill

I was fourteen when he died and I can remember watching the funeral proceedings on the tv. I can also remember that my grandad gave me and my siblings a Churchill crown as a memento, but as it was legal tender I spent 3s/2d of it on 20 Park Drive tipped and just wasted the rest...
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2015, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
I was fourteen when he died and I can remember watching the funeral proceedings on the tv. I can also remember that my grandad gave me and my siblings a Churchill crown as a memento, but as it was legal tender I spent 3s/2d of it on 20 Park Drive tipped and just wasted the rest...
I heard on the radio this morning about these crowns being given - pity you spent it - would be nice to have one
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2015, 10:57 AM

The part which i remember most is his coffin going down the River Thames,i did not know what to make of that and wondered why he was not taken by road.

Edit , got kennedy funeral mixed up with churchills
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2015, 11:01 AM

Having left the terrier kennel (my first job) I went to live in a large Victorian house with magnificent views over the Amber Valley. It was part boarding/trimming/and occasional breeding kennel.
The couple who ran it were kind hearted but short of money and the whole place was run down and shabby.

My strongest memory of that place is of being in a room with a litter of sick orphaned Scotty puppies. In the corner a small black and white television portrayed the funeral of Sir Winston Churchill. The whole country was in mourning for the great man's passing while I was mourning the tiny Scotty puppy which had just died in my hands.

(Taken from my article 'Kennel Maid's Tales').
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2015, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
I heard on the radio this morning about these crowns being given - pity you spent it - would be nice to have one
Thats Ok Patsy, I always regretted it so put it right by buying another one about 30 years ago, which is still in the back of the drawer to this day.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2015, 11:14 AM

I was working when Churchhills funeral took place. It was, however,
on the news in the evening. Loved all the horses and the soldiers
in the entourage. Was a good tribute to a man who had England
engraved in his heart, and millions of people to protect during the War.
Barry you naughty boy smoking at 14

p;.s. Eliza they took him down the Thames and scattered
some of his ashes in there.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2015, 11:27 AM

Think I was about 2 1/2 or 3 years old so was at that time unaware and happily playing !
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2015, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Truly admired him
Have you any memories of the burial day to share or of the great man himself ........
He is not thought very highly of in Australia because of the way he lied to PM Curtin and made statements like "We can get Australia back after the war" when he tried to stop Australia returning its troops for the defence of Australia against the Japanese in 1942.

Churchill's attitude and outright lies can be attributed to leading directly to the ANZUS Treaty almost immediately after WWII.

He was also the architect of the Gallipolli debacle during WWI
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

23-01-2015, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
Thats Ok Patsy, I always regretted it so put it right by buying another one about 30 years ago, which is still in the back of the drawer to this day.
Smashing!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top