Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2015, 03:30 PM

Do you think it´s always warm in Spain?

http://www.thinkspain.com/news-spain...n-the-pipeline

EXTREME weather conditions that hit Spain yesterday (Wednesday) as a fresh cold snap began have left thick snow in the north, blocking roads, closing schools and forcing residents to be evacuated from their homes.

The Costa Brava is being swept by gales, snow in the Basque province of Bizkaia (Vizcaya, or ‘Biscay’) has left 600 homes without electricity and over 100 people in the province of Palencia, Castilla y León, have had to sleep in school sports centres after being trapped by snow forcing authorities to close the A-67 motorway in the Cantabria direction.

A total of 41 provinces, or 80% of Spain are under yellow, orange or red alerts for snow, avalanches, tidal surges, gales or cold weather with temperatures falling to as low as -10ºC.

Snow was even seen in the centre of Valencia city yesterday, a Mediterranean coastal metropolis which has some of the warmest weather in Spain and whose residents have rarely seen snow in their lifetimes.

The white stuff has led to the A-92 motorway in Huétor-Santillán, Albolote and Diezma (all in the Granada province) being shut, and drivers across the northern strip – from the Costa Brava to Galicia including the Basque Country, La Rioja, Navarra, Asturias and Cantabria – have been warned not to venture out without snow chains on their wheels.

More snow is expected today in the whole of Castilla y León, Navarra, the island of Mallorca, Cantabria, Asturias, La Rioja and the Basque Country, whilst avalanches are a serious risk in the Pyrénéen provinces of Lleida and Huesca and the region of Navarra.

Snow may even fall today and Friday in the provinces of Cádiz, Málaga, Córdoba, Jaén and Granada, all in Andalucía, as well as the Comunidad Valenciana, areas where temperatures below freezing are extremely rare.

Rising and overflowing rivers in the provinces of Zaragoza and Tarragona have led to workers being evacuated and schools closed.

And even the south-eastern region of Murcia may see night temperatures over the next few days of as low as -10ºC.

Gales are expected in the south-east of the mainland, Aragón, and the provinces of Jaén in the south, Castellón and Tarragona in the east, and the Balearic Islands, the latter of which may also suffer torrential rain and thunder storms.

The night temperature and early morning temperature has been much lower than 10C, as reported above.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2015, 03:42 PM

Re: Do you think it´s always warm in Spain?

we were in Benidorm for my birthday in January a couple of years ago when the tornado hit! we didn't have one day that was nice, it rained all the time and as much as I love the place, never again!
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2015, 03:51 PM

Oh dear Honey not a nice experience. You would be surprised at how many people think we languish in hot sunshine all year round but we don´t. It can be bitterly cold here during the winter months, right now it is sunny but there is a very very strong wind and it´s bitterly cold. Some years we have had frost but I have only seen snow in this particular area once. I was once in Valencia in March, it was freezing cold and it began snowing heavily, it snowed all the way back to Alicante. The year we moved here it was still cold and wet in early May, fortunately I don´t think it has been quite like that since. That first year I was ready for moving back to Kenya !
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2015, 03:59 PM

the holiday didn't go well from start to finish, the hotel was on a hill, when I had checked it out on the map it looked as though it was at the bottom so that was a downer, it was a Spanish hotel and had no atmosphere, one of the worst we've ever stayed in and we've holidayed in many without any issues.

We got lost in the new airport which I've mentioned before, held the coach up for almost an hour before we managed to get outside!

It was one of those holidays where nothing went right!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2015, 04:23 PM

I think that is the perception Loretta and must I admit I equate Spain with the sun .

I know in some of the programms I have seen about buying a house in Spain people are keen on having a fireplace .

The cold is not too bad, it is the damp that is the killer like today with sleet and cold that gets into the bones.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2015, 05:32 PM

A friend of mine went to live in Spain and I think she was a little surprised at the cold, wet winters at first. The houses aren't insulated and there are floor tiles everywhere that don't help, either.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain

05-02-2015, 05:52 PM

True cranberry, Spanish houses are built to stay cool in summer not warm in winter. Winters vary so much here too, some are mild with very few cold/wet/damp days, others are lots of rain and damp and like this year howling gales at times and a bitterly cold wind. We have central heating right through the house, which is quite large, and believe me we need it.

I know what you mean about the damp Meg, I remember it well and we do get days like that too, I absolutely hate it, the saving grace is that we know our summers will be hot and sunny, we don´t have to live in hope about that. However being British we all complain then that it´s too hot
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2015, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
True cranberry, Spanish houses are built to stay cool in summer not warm in winter. Winters vary so much here too, some are mild with very few cold/wet/damp days, others are lots of rain and damp and like this year howling gales at times and a bitterly cold wind. We have central heating right through the house, which is quite large, and believe me we need it.

I know what you mean about the damp Meg, I remember it well and we do get days like that too, I absolutely hate it, the saving grace is that we know our summers will be hot and sunny, we don´t have to live in hope about that. However being British we all complain then that it´s too hot
We're never satisfied, are we? I love sunshine but when it gets too hot I'm just too worn out to do anything - no wonder the Spanish have siestas.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2015, 08:36 PM

Much better to go to a Spanish Canary island at this time of year. Lanzarote can be lovely in February. Och i wish I was there now! Good memories from then..................
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain

05-02-2015, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by alice76 ->
Much better to go to a Spanish Canary island at this time of year. Lanzarote can be lovely in February. Och i wish I was there now! Good memories from then..................
It snowed in Tenerife a couple of weeks ago Alice, unusual but it happened.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top